Douche-hat driver. What would you do?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tocsik

Douche-hat driver. What would you do?

Post by Tocsik »

Sorry this is long. No other way to tell it short.

I'm always preaching to "let the jerk be a jerk and just go on your way" but I had a situation on my ride home today that was a pretty uncalled for.
I'm not perfect (who is?) but I try to be a courteous driver.

I'm riding my scooter home and a guys pulls out of a business and gets in the lane ahead of me, headed the same direction as me (and a metric butt-load of other commuters). No problem; there was plenty of room and I was pretty far back. So I'm riding home behind this guy just cruising along with traffic. After a few miles he starts driving slower. Didn't flash the brake lights and I don't think I was on his bumper anyway.
OK. Whatever. So I slow down a bit more and backed-off even further (there's like several car lengths between us now).

Then it comes time to turn right and the light changed to yellow while we were both traveling through the intersection. The dude slows down even more; almost stops with me in the intersection but the cars ahead of him were still going ahead. WTF?!
OK, so I raised my left arm in a "hey, what the heck" movement. Nothing aggressive. No middle finger (you shouldn't provoke someone in a car or truck if you're on a scooter). And, of course, he slows down even more.

So at this point I figure he's just some idiot young guy exerting his testosterone and hatred of scooters. Again: Whatever. So I just hung back even more but he continues to drive slower than the rest of the traffic ahead of us and he's staring me down and gesturing in his side view mirror. I don't get it. I really didn't feel like I had done anything to provoke the ass-hat.

OK, fast forward another mile or two and he pulls out a full bottle of water and holds it up high out the window, dumping it out as he drives. I was pretty far back so there was no way it was going to do anything to me anyway. Eventually, he pulls over like he's going to make a right turn but then gets behind me. Didn't tailgate me though. We finally get to a point where there's two lanes going in our direction and he goes on to make a right turn into a neighborhood.

I didn't want to confront the guy because you just don't know what someone like that is capable of and I'm not a 12 year-old school boy looking for a fight.
The problem is I go that way every day and this dipshit probably does too since he pulled-out of a business on my route home and pulled-in to a neighborhood a few miles from me.
I really don't care what he (or anyone else) thinks of me or scooters but I'm a little worried that I could be in danger of getting run off the road now since we will be on the same roads together a lot. I'm not a fighter but if he tries anything like that I will do my best to get my licks in.

What would you do or what would you have done?

I've already taken a few steps but am curious what others would do.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
psssniper

Post by psssniper »

Get a CCW and always stay cool BUT if things go south you're prepared
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Yeah, but handguns are frickin' expensive!
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
mqracing

Post by mqracing »

this is the "thinking, mature me" speaking not the emotional or gut level me...

don't get yourself in a frenzy that you'll run across this guy again... this is the first you've seen him... and may very well be the last.

the "thinking" me thought to myself as I read your post--- I would have maybe pulled over on the shoulder when I was behind him when he started acting like an ass hat. I would have taken a cigarette break and let him get down the road a few miles.

catch me in my "non-thinking, non-mature" mood and ______________ we won't go there.

But don't let this ass hat get you in a worried about the future mood... if you do see him on the road again.... act like nothing ever happened. If he wants to be a ass hat... either take a smoke break for three minutes or pull up next to him at a light and ask him (in a calm voice) if there is a problem.

my hunch is you'll be fine. carry on. ride on. be safe. give the ass hats in two or thee ton vehicles some psychosis room if need bee.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

You should also carry a fire extinguisher in case there's a fire, and a thesaurus in case you need to find a better word to express yourself, and a multimeter in case there's some sort of electrical testing you need to do, and probably a dress suit or tuxedo in case you find out about a formal event or job interview with very little notice, and a ham radio, and some ready-to-eat rations and fresh water, a couple extra helmets, some roller skates (you never know) and a box of condoms. Wouldn't hurt to carry an extra pair of boxers and socks, extra shoelaces, a first-aid kit, and a harpoon in case you encounter a giant dangerous sea animal. And a freeze-dried packet of home-made grits and some Sweet Tea mix in case things REALLY go South.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

illnoise wrote:You should also carry a fire extinguisher in case there's a fire, and a thesaurus in case you need to find a better word to express yourself, and a multimeter in case there's some sort of electrical testing you need to do, and probably a dress suit or tuxedo in case you find out about a formal event or job interview with very little notice, and a ham radio, and some ready-to-eat rations and fresh water, a couple extra helmets, some roller skates (you never know) and a box of condoms. Wouldn't hurt to carry an extra pair of boxers and socks, extra shoelaces, a first-aid kit, and a harpoon in case you encounter a giant dangerous sea animal. And a freeze-dried packet of home-made grits and some Sweet Tea mix in case things REALLY go South.
You Sir, Know how to have a good time.

Now I totally want a harpoon gun. And a Arnold Palmer.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I need an Arnold Palmer dispenser on my scooter. Wait a minute, is there such a thing as an Arnold Palmer Slurpee?
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

... OK Tomorrow morning on the way to work I'm going to have to stop at the new QuickTrip and see what flavors they have.. Maybe they have a Tea flavor and a Lemon? Hmmm...

I've put cup-holders on my last couple scooters, Totally worth it. I miss the one I made for my helix as it would hold a 48oz gas station drink.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

illnoise wrote:You should also carry a fire extinguisher in case there's a fire, and a thesaurus in case you need to find a better word to express yourself, and a multimeter in case there's some sort of electrical testing you need to do, and probably a dress suit or tuxedo in case you find out about a formal event or job interview with very little notice, and a ham radio, and some ready-to-eat rations and fresh water, a couple extra helmets, some roller skates (you never know) and a box of condoms. Wouldn't hurt to carry an extra pair of boxers and socks, extra shoelaces, a first-aid kit, and a harpoon in case you encounter a giant dangerous sea animal. And a freeze-dried packet of home-made grits and some Sweet Tea mix in case things REALLY go South.
Damn, beat me to it.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Tristik

Post by Tristik »

I would the same thing I did the other day when I ended up behind an especially fragrant garbage truck: found a side road to pull into, pulled over, and gave my arms and hands a rest for a minute. Then I hopped back on the road and all was well with the world.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Behind Sir Ass-Hat, this is good because you have full view of his LICENSE TAG. Jot the number down and file it for future reference.

He already violated some traffic laws such as Impeding the normal flow of traffic, Littering (are you 100% certain it was water), possibly assault (again the questionable water). Did he use his signals to indicate his intention to change lanes and turn? I am not one to cry police at the drop of a hat, but you do have some ammo if you pay close attention to ass-hats.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
Robbie

Post by Robbie »

I think you took the high road on this one......the water bottle thing????maybe provocation, maybe just a ignoramis....hard to say.
Beyond that, I kindof wonder if the arm waving was directed at you....you might have been watching a Bluetooth moment.

Given similar circumstances, I too pull off at the first parking lot area, sit and contemplate for about 30 seconds and move on......now, surrounded by another cage crowd with, hopefully, getting home unscathed on their minds.

Rob
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

So really...he slowed down for a yellow light and other than that...nothing happened.

Now I need to make an AP smoothie!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

ericalm wrote:
Damn, beat me to it.
you guys are doing it wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5qqfsQG ... detailpage
honi soit qui mal y pense
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Given my occasionally....animated....responses to things, I would hope that I would be able to still react the same way.

1) I always start with the quizzical head tilt. Are you on the phone arranging the various nefarious encounters for the evening with goats? Get a move-on, goat lover!

2) left arm goes up. WTF?

3) begin looking around for ways to get around this person, who is clearly impaired in some fashion, and may be the product of inbreeding.

One thing I do tend to notice, it's not about us. Sometimes people are doing stupid crap, and they'd do the same stupid crap if no one was around. maybe he wasn't driving slow to aggravate you, maybe he was just totally oblivious to general existence.

I'll let her tell her own story, but one of our locals, Dracolibris, had a deliberately aggressive encounter yesterday.
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Tocsik wrote:Yeah, but handguns are frickin' expensive!
Not to mention paying a lawyer to defend your ass in both civil and criminal cases. You may in your mind feel your were justified in using deadly force, but witnesses have thier views as well and that is what will land your in prison. Leave the cowboy shit to the police and military. They regularly train on how not to have to use deadly force.

What makes this guy's action any different than any other a-hole you deal with on a daily basis. Gagers feel a sense of annonimity just like those on the internet. 99.9% of the time it amounts to nothing. Don't let that fractional difference rule your life and make you do things that you'll regret.

File it away in the back of your mind so when you do spot him again you will know to avoid the prick.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

agrogod wrote:Behind Sir Ass-Hat, this is good because you have full view of his LICENSE TAG. Jot the number down and file it for future reference.
The problem here in MO is that some of the most stupendous asshats tend to drive the mini-Bigfoot style of truck - jacked-up suspension, dualies, etc. And since they're above a certain GVWR, lucky them, they get to pretend they're like the big boys in their Kenworths and run with only a front license plate. The spot in the rear is usually reserved for John Deere, Harley Davidson, or NASCAR.

No visible [edit: state license] plate to a trailing driver, and perfectly legal. Grrr.
Last edited by PeteH on Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

PeteH wrote:
agrogod wrote:Behind Sir Ass-Hat, this is good because you have full view of his LICENSE TAG. Jot the number down and file it for future reference.
The problem here in MO is that some of the most stupendous asshats tend to drive the mini-Bigfoot style of truck - jacked-up suspension, dualies, etc. And since they're above a certain GVWR, lucky them, they get to pretend they're like the big boys in their Kenworths and run with only a front license plate. The spot in the rear is usually reserved for John Deere, Harley Davidson, or NASCAR.

No visible plate to a trailing driver, and perfectly legal. Grrr.
Here CA we call them Bro-dozers. And it seems they are driven by the same type of asshat no matter what state you're in.

To the OP: some people are just aholes. Confronting them is pointless unless you are willing to go the distance, because nothing positive will come from it.
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Bro-Dozer!

Yes! I am adopting that for sure. We have them in droves here in Denver. I forget that CO is just the metro area surrounded by a lot of nothing.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

No self respecting southerner uses instant grits!!!
Nothing is Foolproof to a sufficiently talented Fool.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

PeteH wrote:

No visible [edit: state license] plate to a trailing driver, and perfectly legal. Grrr.
YES!!!! Hampton Ave is chock full of those puzzle tossers. Grrr
96 Decibel Freaks
Mutt the Hoople

PeteH wrote:

YES!!!! Hampton Ave is chock full of those pizzle tossers. Grrr
96 Decibel Freaks
chas

Post by chas »

rsrider wrote:
PeteH wrote:

No visible plate to a trailing driver, and perfectly legal. Grrr.
Here CA we call them Bro-dozers. And it seems they are driven by the same type of asshat no matter what state you're in.

To the OP: some people are just aholes. Confronting them is pointless unless you are willing to go the distance, because nothing positive will come from it.
I have to deal with bro-sleds on a regular basis out here seeing as Orange County borders Riverside County (there seems to be a fairly substantial hive of bros within it's borders). Those guys are almost ALWAYS agressive towards scooter guys and they almost ALWAYS think that if they watch enough MMA then they are a karate master. That right there is a great recipe for disaster. I have issues with them pretty frequently but I usually use the go-take-a-cigarette-break method and let them just bro thier way down the road without me. I'm always tempted to try the scooterist shotgun (handfull of change and/or ball bearings over the shoulder) but I'm certain that would end quite badly haha!
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

Do a wheelie. Or tuck in, ride slow , and squint at them. Just find something strange to do. If you gotta put up with them, you might as well make it fun. Just stay back far enough that if they try to do something you can still bail out of the situation.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

If I'm being tailgated I like to tuck and slap my side cowls like I'm riding a horse and trying to make it go faster. And yell thinks like yaw, and giddyup.
SYMbionic Duo

Post by SYMbionic Duo »

double post
Last edited by SYMbionic Duo on Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:If I'm being tailgated I like to tuck and slap my side cowls like I'm riding a horse and trying to make it go faster. And yell thinks like yaw, and giddyup.
I have to add that to my repertoire.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
anthony

Post by anthony »

TroutBum wrote: Not to mention paying a lawyer to defend your ass in both civil and criminal cases. You may in your mind feel your were justified in using deadly force, but witnesses have thier views as well and that is what will land your in prison. Leave the cowboy shit to the police and military. They regularly train on how not to have to use deadly force.

What makes this guy's action any different than any other a-hole you deal with on a daily basis. Gagers feel a sense of annonimity just like those on the internet. 99.9% of the time it amounts to nothing. Don't let that fractional difference rule your life and make you do things that you'll regret.

File it away in the back of your mind so when you do spot him again you will know to avoid the prick.
:+!:
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

BuddyRaton wrote:So really...he slowed down for a yellow light and other than that...nothing happened.

Now I need to make an AP smoothie!
No. He brake-checked me, flipped me off and dumped his drink out the window with me behind him while laughing.
It's hard to describe how he was acting while going slow and staring at me in his side view mirror while mouthing who-knows-what. He really came off as kinda disturbed. Not the usual jerk but a jerk nonetheless.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

No. He brake-checked me, flipped me off and dumped his drink out the window with me behind him while laughing.
It's hard to describe how he was acting while going slow and staring at me in his side view mirror while mouthing who-knows-what. He really came off as kinda disturbed. Not the usual jerk but a jerk nonetheless.
I recommend putting him in a rock tumbler until all his pointy edges are gone. that may be because I am very grumpy.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Robbie wrote:I kindof wonder if the arm waving was directed at you....you might have been watching a Bluetooth moment.
Definitely directed at me as was his middle finger, brake lights "stroking-off" gestures, pulling over to get behind me, etc.
Mutt the Hoople

Tocsik wrote:
Robbie wrote:I kindof wonder if the arm waving was directed at you....you might have been watching a Bluetooth moment.
Definitely directed at me as was his middle finger, brake lights "stroking-off" gestures, pulling over to get behind me, etc.
The guy definitely sounds disturbed. I think you handled in the best way possible but I totally understand why you are a bit freaked by his behavior. You've been riding awhile. Trust your instincts. That guy is messed up. I hop you don't see him again.

About a month ago I was riding down a country side road that is owned by a university. Lots of farm land around and it's a pretty area to ride. So on this particular late afternoon I a riding home and about to turn on the road and some guy was sitting on the shoulder in a pickup. As I rode past him I saw him looking at me in a really strange manner that made my neck hair stand up. I rode by and nothing happened and I thought my imagination was running away on me. He was not quite out of site when he gunned his truck, fiehtailed and threw loose gravel and dust everywhere and he had it floored coming straight at me. There was no where to go and no one around. I thought he was going to run right over me. Just when it seemed like that would happen, he swerved around me and break checked me. Then he sped off and disappeared. Omg. I rode slow to let him get way ahead. I thought it was okay until I crossed a driveway and his truck was backed in. I carefully went by and then hightailed it to a nearby filling station. They were great. They had seen the truck and thought he was acting wired and aggressive and they called the cops. Wow. It felt like a bad made-for-TV movie.

I hope you can avoid during where the creep is. Good luck.
96 Decibel Freaks
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

SYMbionic Duo wrote:

No self respecting southerner uses instant grits!!!
I anticipated that response, which is why I was clear to say "home made" but freeze dried. I get your point, I'm just being practical. It's just not practical to carry fresh hot grits. Maybe just a FoodSaver bag that you could drop in a pot of boiling water, then open and eat? (don't forget utensils btw. And the saucepan. And a couple gallons of water. And a vintage russian Primus stove.)

Bb.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

skully93 wrote:
I recommend putting him in a rock tumbler until all his pointy edges are gone. that may be because I am very grumpy.
Edited with a cooler head:

Yeah, I actually went ahead and reported his ass to the State Patrol. Ends up it's a rental.
Then, after dinner, I went for a little drive in my truck just to see if I could spot the car. It would be good to know where he lives so I can do more to avoid further contact. The neighborhood has a long main road with dozens of side roads so I just drove down the main road slowly looking down the side streets. On a whim, I went down one single side road and what do you know, there it was. So now I know where he lives . Unless he was visiting his "bros".
Rode with self-defense back-up today just in case and, frankly, would love to avoid further contact.

It's hard to get the point across exactly what he was doing that day without it sounding trite but he was flat-out malicious.
Last edited by Tocsik on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

You know, Tocsik, I suspect that his actions were really gay bashing. Doesn't matter if you're not gay - this guy thought "scooter=f*&". Why do I think this? The stroking off gestures and because it seems to be a common association in some places. Unfortunately in his little peanut sized brain, that made it okay to treat you like a sub-human. You did the right thing in not engaging. Coming here to vent and discuss is also a good move. If you see him again, I'd suggest pulling off the road and waiting for him to pass, if it's at all possible.
scootavaran

Post by scootavaran »

So was he alone in the truck?
It's one thing if someone acts stupid in front of friends to prove something. If he was alone and acting like that then there really might be something wrong with the dude.
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

scootavaran wrote: If he was alone and acting like that then there really might be something wrong with the dude.
Mm, yep; like methamphetamine.
Poor impulse control.
honi soit qui mal y pense
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Tocsik wrote: Yeah, I actually went ahead and reported his ass to the State Patrol. Ends up it's a rental.
Then, after dinner, I went for a little drive in my truck just to see if I could spot the car. The neighborhood has a long main road with dozens of side roads so I just drove down the main road slowly looking down the side streets. On a whim, I went down one single side road and what do you know, there it was. So now I know where he lives :twisted: . Unless he was visiting his "bros".
Rode with a screwdriver and collapsible baton today just in case and, frankly, would love to crush his face.

It's hard to get the point across exactly what he was doing that day without it sounding trite but he was flat-out malicious.
Perhaps it would be best to take your own advice. "let the jerk be a jerk and just go on your way"

Your letting this guy take up space in your head. That can't happen unless the "Vacancy" sign is lit. So now your tracking him down with a baton and screwdriver? He's probably already forgotten about the incident.

Doesn't sound like this will end well for anyone. I see blood and jail time in the future for someone.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Hwarang

Post by Hwarang »

Mount a go-pro to your scoot, start recording. It's fun and useful for times like this.
"Limitations are the soil from which creativity grows." - Zeldman
"All that glitters is not golden" - Shakespeare
"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known" - Carl Sagan
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind killer ..." - Dune
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

as some other posts suggested slow down take a few minute break to let the individual be on the way. In a very short time they most likely will be behaving similarly to another driver in a cage or on a scoot. I would also keep a cell phone very handy to take a picture or call if needed. When ever you drive a scoot or small vehicle some other drivers think they always have the right of way and even cut you off or squeeze you over almost sideswiping you or tailgating. Guess it make them feel powerful.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Thanks for all the feedback and advice, folks.
Mostly, thanks for just "hearing me out".
I'm over it and hopefully nothing further will happen.

If anything does, I'll update. But it won't be initiated by me.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

I hear you. Some times it's helpful just to vent.

Another idea. If you are sitting behind someone like that at a light, pull our your cell phone and take a picture of their vehicle, including the license plate. Maybe they will even see you do it so it will make them think twice about continuing to be a pin head. :roll:
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

Please allow me to add my two cents. Considering how blatant his behavior was, I would have gotten his tag number, a description of his car and, as best you could, his person. I wouldn't have followed him to get that last, just what you were reasonably able to notice under the circumstances. Then, considering your likelihood of seeing him again, I would have called the cops and made a report. I never really expect them to do anything, especially since the perp would simply deny everything anyway, but just to have something on the record in case you run across him again.

Now, as to the gun suggester, let me offer the following anecdote. It so happens that I do own firearms and keep a CCW. I used to carry a lot for work and since I worked a lot in the woods, I kept it because I frequently run across poisonous snakes. My then-coworker was carrying one for the same reason.

It so happens that one day we were leaving a job in a rural area and I drove the truck back onto the public road and headed back toward the office. I had seen a car coming but he was far away so I thought it safe enough to pull out. The idiot in the car took exception to this and blew around me gesturing rudely and continued to do so in his rearview as we went down the road.

As it was hot and we were thirsty, I thought that at the next intersection we would turn left and stop by a store for a soda. Young jerk saw my signal and jerked into the parking lot, obviously waiting to start an incident.

At this point I thought "this idiot has no idea that he will be facing two loaded Glocks and the results won't be good for anybody."

I could just see myself dealing with the aftermath, trying to explain to the courts why I capped this fool because he jumped out of a car and tried to attack me. Didn't want the burden of having killed someone if I could possibly avoid it.

And for all I knew, he might have had a shotgun with him.
You must remember that guns only launch bullets. They do not shield you from them.

So I turned right instead of left and that was the end of it.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

I know you say it's over but just a couple more things.

Even if it's a rental, the rental company knows who rented what car when and the police can certainly get that information.

And the instant grits they make these days are actually not bad but NEVER buy sweet tea mix! :wink:
TVB

Post by TVB »

pdxrita wrote:You know, Tocsik, I suspect that his actions were really gay bashing. Doesn't matter if you're not gay - this guy thought "scooter=f*&". Why do I think this? The stroking off gestures and because it seems to be a common association in some places. Unfortunately in his little peanut sized brain, that made it okay to treat you like a sub-human.
I've repeatedly experienced this kind of reaction while driving a small car with bumper stickers that identified me as gay, so I'd say this is a good guess.
If you see him again, I'd suggest pulling off the road and waiting for him to pass, if it's at all possible.
Rather than pulling over, I recommend taking a short detour, so you don't look like a sitting target, or as if you're stopping to challenge him to get out and fight. Take the next turn, go around the block, and rejoin your route with several vehicles between you and the idiot.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Thanks again, guys. I'm seriously over it from my perspective and there have been some good words of wisdom from the masses. I don't usually like to bring my personal problems to a group but I'm glad I did because of the great community we have here.

I'm hoping this is done and will do my best to keep it that way. He could just as easily follow me home and find out where I live and I don't want want to bring that kind of behavior to my front doorstep and have my wife deal with any of it. You never know what an idiot may do to your home in the middle of the night.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

TVB wrote:
pdxrita wrote:You know, Tocsik, I suspect that his actions were really gay bashing. Doesn't matter if you're not gay - this guy thought "scooter=f*&". Why do I think this? The stroking off gestures and because it seems to be a common association in some places. Unfortunately in his little peanut sized brain, that made it okay to treat you like a sub-human.
I've repeatedly experienced this kind of reaction while driving a small car with bumper stickers that identified me as gay, so I'd say this is a good guess.
If you see him again, I'd suggest pulling off the road and waiting for him to pass, if it's at all possible.
Rather than pulling over, I recommend taking a short detour, so you don't look like a sitting target, or as if you're stopping to challenge him to get out and fight. Take the next turn, go around the block, and rejoin your route with several vehicles between you and the idiot.
I don't know how you'll take this but I'll go ahead and say it as it's an honest opinion. I don't 'get' gay-bashing. If a straight guy is secure in his masculinity, the thought shouldn't even occur to him. It makes me wonder if the basher has some doubts about himself that he externalizes on some stranger.

And you have a point about the pulling over possibly being misperceived as a challenge. Re the detour, during that incident I mentioned above, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had done something cowardly by avoiding that guy. And I'm sure that in his mind, he "won". Still, there were too many possible bad outcomes otherwise so it had to be the best thing.
TVB

Post by TVB »

Southerner wrote:I don't know how you'll take this but I'll go ahead and say it as it's an honest opinion. I don't 'get' gay-bashing. If a straight guy is secure in his masculinity, the thought shouldn't even occur to him. It makes me wonder if the basher has some doubts about himself that he externalizes on some stranger.
It's a reaction to feeling "threatened". What they're afraid of varies... calling their religious tenets into question, defying society's traditional gender roles, questioning their own sexual identity, or even the delusion that their physical safety is in danger... but it's all about fear.
And you have a point about the pulling over possibly being misperceived as a challenge.
Or just an opportunity. Either way, stopping can fail to get you out of the situation, which would really be the best solution.
Re the detour, during that incident I mentioned above, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had done something cowardly by avoiding that guy. And I'm sure that in his mind, he "won". Still, there were too many possible bad outcomes otherwise so it had to be the best thing.
Whether it's gay-bashing, scooter-hate, or any other irrational mind-set that wants you and your kind to disappear, getting away from them is winning. Let him think he "won". But he didn't, because you're still around and you're still... whatever it was that he wants to go away.
monnoracing

Post by monnoracing »

I found I have more problems when wearing a helmet. When i dont have one on I give this crazy look and gesture I will cut their throat. Works every time I did it today when some kid said frak you to me as he was driving by.
TVB

Post by TVB »

monnoracing wrote:I found I have more problems when wearing a helmet. When i dont have one on I give this crazy look and gesture I will cut their throat. Works every time I did it today when some kid said frak you to me as he was driving by.
Well, I suppose that works... until the time it doesn't. :/