Well, it started happening again......

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

KABarash

Well, it started happening again......

Post by KABarash »

Last Friday morning (0315am), shaking soooo badly I did go down!
No damage to either the scoot or myself, I went down on the grassy shoulder of the road about 10 +/- mph, I got lucky....

viewtopic.php?t=21580&highlight=bloody+rookie
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

You have any issues with blood sugar levels? Reason I ask is that I'm mildly hypoglycemic, and I will occasionally get the shakes when stressed out or after overdoing some physical activity. Usually it only takes a coupla sticks of gum or an apple to set me straight.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

Are you SURE it's you, not the bike? There are several reasons your bike could "speed wobble" (bad tire, poorly balanced tires, bad wheel or steering bearings, wind buffering, windshield wobble, etc) and maybe it feels like it's coming from you but it's not.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

illnoise wrote:Are you SURE it's you, not the bike? There are several reasons your bike could "speed wobble" (bad tire, poorly balanced tires, bad wheel or steering bearings, wind buffering, windshield wobble, etc) and maybe it feels like it's coming from you but it's not.
Sadly it's ALL me, not the scoot. It only has happened while riding to work in the dark.
I can ride any other time with no issues. Even home in the dark!
Danmit-all-to-hell........ Anyone want to buy my Buddy? :(
Nullius in verba
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

So how is posting multiple pity-party sympathy threads going to solve the issue . . talk about being in denial!
TVB

Post by TVB »

tortoise wrote:So how is posting multiple pity-party sympathy threads going to solve the issue . . talk about being in denial!
And how is posting obnoxious replies supposed to help?
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

tortoise wrote:So how is posting multiple pity-party sympathy threads going to solve the issue . . talk about being in denial!
SORRY...... But I've been looking for advise and/or suggestions to help me resolve this!!
What the hell am I denying?
I'm 52 years old and something I am unable to figure out is happening and I've been asking for insight not sarcasm!
Nullius in verba
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

KABarash wrote:What the hell am I denying?
A potential medical issue. Why would any rational person NOT seek consultation with a physician?
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

Is something stressing you out? Maybe it is a combination of things, not just one in particular.

Such as coffee, not eating breakfast, stress, tension or stuff like that. I know when I have to go in early I am always nervous, pelicans fly out when I cross the causeway. Deer, racoons and wild hog run out on the road. Maybe it is something of that nature.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

tortoise wrote:
A potential medical issue. Why would any rational person NOT seek consultation with a physician?
Ahhh..... Apologies for 'jumping on' you then.....
I would love to see my Doc on this however without health insurance coverage I simply can not afford it..... :oops:
Nullius in verba
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

TVB wrote:
And how is posting obnoxious replies supposed to help?
Thanx, Todd
Nullius in verba
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

KABarash wrote:I would love to see my Doc on this however without health insurance coverage I simply can not afford it
At least test your blood glucose as charlie55 suggested. Additional testing options.
iMoses

Post by iMoses »

What ever you do don't think about a Pink Elephant. Now I just got you to picture a pink elephant.

It’s tough to be productive when anxiety and worry are dominating your thoughts. Try not to worry and instead use the words "problem solving". Problem solving involves evaluating a situation, coming up with concrete steps for dealing with it, and then putting the plan into action.

You just may have to do the baby steps solution. Wish I could be more help.

Good luck.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Agreed. sometimes we also hide factors from ourselves.

maybe this would help.

1) keep a journal of the day. What you ate before leaving, how you slept, how the ride was, etc.

2) compare the factors over time. obviously more time you'll have more factors.

3) if you feel that nervous feeling, take a break. You might be a few minutes late, but it's better than hurting yourself or not getting there at all.

If you can ride in the same conditions under other circumstances, such as home, I'd say maybe it's a psychological thing, or maybe you really do need to eat/drink differently before going to work.

Hope you figure it out, I'd hate to see you give up.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Man... talk about a spot to be in :| I'm just lucky that getting a bike again has HELPED with my anxiety level. Today was the first time in 6 months I actually looked forward to going into work, and I was called in on an emergency no less!

But, perhaps there is some validity to the psycho-semantic response of worrying about stress on the bike and then it occurring. What is triggering it? That very well could take some medical assistance...
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

You could check out any health fairs etc in your area. They usually have health screenings for no fee which can take blood pressures, blood sugars, cholesterol etc. Also you could check with your town visiting nurses, council on aging, local pharmacies, etc for similar screenings.
At least that would give you a base line to start with and maybe help check into anything else which may be related such as neurological, muscular etc.
hairball

Post by hairball »

How is your diet?
I was getting anemic fairly regularly and more often over the past couple years.

I am 55 years old and had no idea I was eating so badly... I figured since I don't go to Mc D's I was doing good... Not so much

Luckily I am a Vietnam vet and get VA healthcare.
They told me after a blood analysis 6 months ago and I need to go on some daily meds if I wanted to be around in 10 years. :shock:

One of my clients told me about a video called "Fat, Sick and nearly dead" ... I am only 5 pounds overweight so the fat part didn't fit.
Long story short... I took up some of the concepts in the film .... Not to the extreme like the author of the film, and had my most recent blood test again 2 weeks ago, ALL of my vitals had improved tremendously
Cholesterol from 220, to 161
I don't remember the HDL/LDL numbers, But the Doc said they were excellent.
Blood pressure was perfect.

The physical benefits of changing my eating habits had the greatest improvements.
-Sleeping better
-No energy crash= Carb/sugar crash
-Thinking much sharper, Very important in my profession... For a while I thought I was just getting old and losing my edge.

I have nothing to sell here, I was skeptical at first, but the results started showing by the 2nd week and now it is a part of my life.

I am also not a health zelot, I still love chicken wings, beer and pizza... Just not all the time.

Check out the vid... Couldn't hurt
If trees screamed when they were cut, We would stop cutting them down...
If they screamed all the time... We would cut them all down!
Rob

Post by Rob »

I haven't read through all the replies, so this may have already been mentioned.

I believe you said this was happening during night time conditions? You might want to do some research on visual fixations and some of the strange things that can happen to you. Perhaps you're fixating on the road and limited night time field of vision in front of you for long periods of time? If so, do some internet searching and you might find some simple answers that might help.

While I didn't get the shakes, I did experience some strange symptoms while driving the SUV a few years back. I was driving early morning, while still dark, in a blizzard with high winds and heavy snow. I should not have been on the road. The highway was completely snow covered and icy, all I could see in my headlights was heavy horizontal snow and tire tracks in front of me. I was obviously very tense. After 20 minutes or so, I started to get very disoriented, dizzy, and thought for sure I was going to lose control of the vehicle. I forced myself to look away and focus on other things for short periods of time and after a few minutes, I came back to 'normal' (no wisecracks please).

Anyway, just an idea.

Rob
"Sponges grow in the ocean. That just kills me. I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be if that didn't happen."
- Steven Wright
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Well, it started happening again......

Post by jrsjr »

KABarash wrote:Last Friday morning (0315am), shaking soooo badly I did go down!
Hypoglycemia and anxiety attack have been mentioned. Riding at night, maybe, could it be just a little touch of hypothermia? I don't know where you live, but is it getting a little chilly there at night when you're riding?
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

To be honest I think you should park the scooter until you know what it is you have. Not only are you putting yourself at risk, you are putting others at risk as well. I know what I am saying sucks, but the reality is you are having issues which could end badly for someone. Just saying ... .

Are there free clinics in your area? Large metro cities like San Francisco have them.
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

This is probably a really stupid question, but I haven't a medically educated bone in my body, so consider the source. :)

Is it possible you are epileptic (sp?) and there's some neon light flashing red you see particularly well at night that triggers it?

Again, OBVIOUSLY I'm not medically inclined...maybe that's not even possible...just a thought.

Or, have you tried singing to yourself?....maybe you need to distract yourself a little bit so you don't focus on being concerned the shaking might happen (assuming it might be psychosomatic)...
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

You did state that it only seems to happen going to work. Is work a good place or have you been having problems. Seems like a mental problem as opposed to a physical one.

That's my 1 cent, government took the other penny.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
vantage

Post by vantage »

OP,

do you wear glasses. Is it possible that you cannot focus correctly at higher speeds in the dark.

THis would drive your central nervous system wacky as you try to manage the bike in the dark. It could happen if either close up or distance vision was impaired.

If your prescription is old or if you have never had glasses it might be time to spend 40 bucks at walmart to get an exam.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KABarash wrote:
tortoise wrote:
I would love to see my Doc on this however without health insurance coverage I simply can not afford it...
This sounds pretty serious to me - and evidently to you too. Seems like this is one of those times when you really need to seek a medical evaluation, and cover the cost however you can. The alternative is to give up scooters - among other things. I wouldn't wish that on anyone - especially a fellow MB'er.
TVB

Post by TVB »

KABarash wrote:I would love to see my Doc on this however without health insurance coverage I simply can not afford it..... :oops:
As a general comment to anyone without insurance: Even if you expect that it'll lead to a lot of expensive healthcare that you can't afford, an initial doctor visit to (hopefully) answer that question may not be out of reach, and could be money well spent... even if all you get out of it is the doctor saying there's nothing wrong with you.
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

are you getting adequate sleep at night? it's also important to have consistency with what time you settle in, otherwise you're putting your body clock on a roller coaster ride. I've had anxiety issues before that made me feel like I was shivering. It could also have been from too much caffeine. I never pursued it, it's very rare, and it usually winds down quickly. You also may be shivering and not realize you're cold at all. I was shivering violently on day 6 of CBR, it was very windy and the air temperature was probably in the low 60s, but my fingers felt semi-thawed. I bundled up like it was January, and that at least made me comfortable enough to keep going. When I stopped to bundle up, I felt how nice it actually was outside and thought I was crazy. It was probably more anxiety than cold. I was shedding layers within an hour.

You should also consider multi-vitamins and electrolyte drinks. I don't suggest the commercialized sports drinks with the artificial sweeteners or high sugar content. I swear by Ultima Replenisher and use it almost daily as a boost or fitness recovery.

Keep us updated if anything helps or changes.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:are you getting adequate sleep at night? it's also important to have consistency with what time you settle in, otherwise you're putting your body clock on a roller coaster ride.

Keep us updated if anything helps or changes.
Sleep or lack there of has got to be the defining issue, though I can not say for sure.
When I need to be at work at 0400 I don't think I typically get much more than four hours.
Though since I let the earlier thread die in the spring I'd been riding with out any issues under the same circumstances, I just don't get it. It was colder the morning I experienced it again even though I was dressed in a jacket/sweater combination I'd ridden in in colder I was 'temperature comfortable'.......
Hmmm...... It's the combination of it all (?)..... sleep, 0300, temps below 60* What a bummer!
I haven't and won't (now) ride in the mornings I have to be at work early (0400) when it's near or below 60* :?
Nullius in verba
TroutBum

Post by TroutBum »

Lack of sleep and I feel woooozy all day. When its's cold and I am not bundled up around my neck and shoulders I get an uncontrolable spasm from my neck up with my teeth chattering. You think I was in 0 degrees, but this can come on when it's in the low 60s.
jartist

Post by jartist »

I have to throw in my guess too! When you wake up in the morning your body is recovering from sleep mode. All kinds of metabolic changes happen during sleepy time. Your body core temp is lower and metabolism slows and your brain is in irrational dream mode. If you're getting up earlier than normal, especially when it's still dark out it may take quite some time to actually be fully functioning awake. Just to test my theory, on the core temperature alone, use a thermometer in the morning when you wake up and compare it to when you go to bed. It's very likely low enough in the morning that it doesn't take much to send you into hypothermia. If you want to keep trying to take the scoot in to work, try getting up like two hours before you have to leave the house. Do some mild exercise with bright lights, a little caffinated breakfast, then a nice hot shower, think happy thoughts and give it a go!
LunaP

Post by LunaP »

Okay, I'm going to scattershot a bunch of stabs in the dark... sorry if some of them are redundant with other replies:

Hyplogycemia: If you do not eat enough the night before, or do not eat breakfast before you leave for your commute, you may not have enough food in your system and your sugar may be low.
Conversely, not many people know this exists, but I have it: Reactive Hypoglycemia... that is when you have something sugary, and in reaction, your body (for whatever reason) makes too much insulin in response... which then creates the same symptoms of low blood sugar.
If you are drinking a sugary energy drink (soda, red bull, sugared coffee, what have you) for breakfast for energy, or eating sugary pastries like doughnuts as part of your breakfast, this could be happening to you and could explain the shaking.

Caffeine: I probably don't have to explain this. More than a soda/day is pretty unhealthy for you... try and cut down some if you aren't already. If you have too much, or if you are in the midst of reducing your intake drastically, that could explain the shaking.

Sleep: Or lack thereof. If you're having trouble getting to bed early enough to get enough sleep, you need to adjust your routine. If you are having trouble getting to sleep at all, try some over the counter sleep aids (start with Melatonin). You can also do things like rearrange your bedroom to make it more sleep-friendly; remove distractions, computer desks, things that make you think about other parts of your life. Don't use your bed for anything other than sleep... don't use a laptop or read (unless reading for half an hour would honestly help you sleep)... in short, get rid of reasons for your brain to associate your bed and bedroom with things other than sleep.

Stress: Everybody's stressed, and I can't tell you what is an acceptable level of stress for you to properly handle. What I can tell you is to look for physical and mental signs that you aren't handling it well... stress manifests itself in SO MANY ways that I can't list them all to you here; but take a moment to consider "When did I start feeling like this?/Doing that?/Is that normal for me?"etc. There are tons of resources to help with stress reduction... from yoga to simplifying your home to meditation. See internet for more.

Muscle Tension: I don't know about anybody else, but I have a TERRIBLE problem with muscle tension. In my jaws, neck, shoulders, back, arms. It's a combination of stress, discomfort, and an old RMI.
If I were you, riding to work at 3am in the dark, feeling very anxious... that might make me tense up bad enough to make my shoulders and neck hurt all the way there.
I am wondering if maybe you are tensing up so badly that it's making you shake? Anything could contribute to this, really... caffeine, sleep, stress/anxiety, discomfort.

When you shake, is it your whole body, or just your arms/hands? Does it feel like your heart is racing? Do you ever feel dizzy? Or just panicked, because you know you are shaking?

Keep in mind, it could be a combination of these. These are just the things I thought of immediately, that you can try to deal with without seeing a doctor. Are there free clinics in your area? Maybe you should have anemia and blood pressure issues eliminated.