Massachusetts Folks - Tax free weekend this weekend!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

jonlink

Massachusetts Folks - Tax free weekend this weekend!

Post by jonlink »

Public Service Announcement:
Just got an email from ScootersGoGreen.com about this weekend being tax free in MA. They are also giving people 10% off of accessories. Too bad I've already spent about every spare time I have on scooter stuff. :roll:

No sales tax on a scooter (on anything actually) is pretty great, so spread the word to buy your expensive stuff this weekend.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Heh. Here in MO it was tax-holiday last weekend. Unfortunately, it was only for education-related purchases, and although some municipalities dropped the local tax as well, most did not, so only the 4% state component came off. I did, however, snag another laptop at the full discount.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

The tax-free thing is specifically only applicable for any purchases under $2500, which would not include the most expensive of the scooters, of course.

I do find myself wishing that I had a need for some new accessory though. Maybe I'll go see if they have anything better in stock in the way of riding jackets. Never liked what they've had before, not to mention that they never have any small enough for me.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

I may be wrong but I think vehicles are not included for tax free purchases.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

50CC Cape Cod wrote:I may be wrong but I think vehicles are not included for tax free purchases.
I've heard it is about value, not vehicle or not. Since most vehicles are much more than $2500, that is why they say it isn't applicable for vehicles.
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

Motor vehicles are excluded from tax-free sales, regardless of cost. The b/f and I are trying to figure if we need any big ticket items; thankfully, we're coming up empty handed.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/businesses/help ... -12-5.html
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

It seems like you are right, siobhan. But then again, scooters go green sent me an email that reads
Tax Free Weekend is BACK!! This the BEST time of the year to buy a scooter! Save big and see why everyone in Boston is Scooting. At 100mpg and door to door free parking, no insurance required, and MBTA fare hikes - who wouldn't want 0% financing on a Brand New Scooter. If you have been thinking about buying a scooter, now is the time. Get some cool accessories free of sales tax and GET AN ADDITIONAL 10% off on all accessories. This Weekend ONLY!!!!!
At any rate, it's a good time for accessories. I'm in the market for a full faced helmet, but I don't remember ever seeing one there. Plus, I don't really have the cash to buy one this weekend.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

jonlink wrote:It seems like you are right, siobhan. But then again, scooters go green sent me an email that reads
Tax Free Weekend is BACK!! This the BEST time of the year to buy a scooter! Save big and see why everyone in Boston is Scooting. At 100mpg and door to door free parking, no insurance required, and MBTA fare hikes - who wouldn't want 0% financing on a Brand New Scooter. If you have been thinking about buying a scooter, now is the time. Get some cool accessories free of sales tax and GET AN ADDITIONAL 10% off on all accessories. This Weekend ONLY!!!!!
At any rate, it's a good time for accessories. I'm in the market for a full faced helmet, but I don't remember ever seeing one there. Plus, I don't really have the cash to buy one this weekend.
Scooters Go Green says in their ad that while not all of their scooters qualify, if they do not, they will discount the 6.5% themselves.

But here is the actual rule:
For sales tax purposes, the term “motor vehicle” means a motorized, self-propelled vehicle which is constructed and designed for transportation or travel over a land surface, including “low speed vehicles” and “limited use vehicles”, but not including motorized bicycles. See G.L. c. 90, TIR 09-20.

So I think 50cc's might not qualify as a motor vehicle in that case.