Giving Chrome Battery a shot!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mhardgrove

Giving Chrome Battery a shot!

Post by mhardgrove »

Hey everyone,

Gearing up for my move and purchased a few items off Amazon for the scooter, one of which was a BS-9 battery from Chrome Battery. I wanted a battery with a little extra power and didn't want to spend a ton of $. I know there was a more powerful battery that is factory size but it was also over $60, so I snipped the top plastic on the battery cover and got the BS-9 for $29.75 with free shipping! Considering that a similar battery from Wal-Mart is $72.50 I think that even if I have to replace this seasonally its worth a shot for a bit under $30.

The battery arrived in 2 days from central Indiana to Denver via USPS, I was expecting it to take much longer! The battery is a sealed and fully charged battery, no freaking acid to spill then throw on trickle charger for who knows how long, I hooked it up and started with the the slightest touch of the starter! The battery appears to be of good quality and was HEAVY, like twice the weight as the OEM, it is physically bigger though!!! I like heavy, usually indicates the thing has a bunch of lead in it. I will be using a float charger during times where I'm not riding it and will also store it indoors during the winter months, but I'm impressed after my first inspection. I totally was expecting a refurbished battery, but it appears to be totally new unit. No idea why it is as cheap as it is, but I guess time will tell.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Nice score!
Let us know how it does over time. Did you happen to see any other good deals on batteries while on Amazon? I would like to maybe get the higher rated one since I run Oxford Heaterz in the Winter.

Oops! Saw that you found that one for >$60.
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Had it a few days now, will let you know how it holds up. Appears to be fine as of now. For less than $30 I'm impressed so far.
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I'm about to buy a new battery.
How's this one holding up?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
SuperFlyBuddy

Post by SuperFlyBuddy »

It'd be nice to know the specs on the battery as well; specifically CCA & Amp/Hr.

I'm still pleased after six months with my new battery albeight more expensive that doesn't require modifying the battery compartment:

http://www.batterystuff.com/powersports ... TZ10S.html

Note this battery has higher CCA's & Amp/Hr's than the physically larger battery from BatteryStuff.com that requires trimming the battery compartment lid.
<insert witty comment here>
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

SuperFlyBuddy wrote:It'd be nice to know the specs on the battery as well; specifically CCA & Amp/Hr.

I'm still pleased after six months with my new battery albeight more expensive that doesn't require modifying the battery compartment:

Note this battery has higher CCA's & Amp/Hr's than the physically larger battery from BatteryStuff.com that requires trimming the battery compartment lid.

I think SFB has got it figured out,looks like a no brainer to me.

Thanks Tim.....
Aerosmith, None Other.
monnoracing

Post by monnoracing »

I have used them for my electric scooter. Have great communication.
mhardgrove

Post by mhardgrove »

Thought I would post an update.... this battery is frigging awesome! Not a sign of it dying. I keep it on the float charger during the winter and if I don't ride it a ton. I freaking love a good deal and when this thing finally dies I will definitely buy another!
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Right there with ya. I replaced my '08 stock battery with a Chrome 9 amp battery in October of 2012. I run heated grips and it's been perfect. Granted, I get the luxury of parking in my garage at home and I Tender the battery each night during the Winter when I run the Oxford grips.
Bought it for 30 bucks on Amazon. You can't beat that.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Thanks for the long-term update(s)!
CountChocula

Just bought one

Post by CountChocula »

I don't know if all the chrome batteries have it but the one I just got off eBay was 30.00 shipped and has this cool built-in voltmeter and replacement timer thing. Also got it from Indiana to Denver in two or three days.

18 mo warranty and a return policy within 60 days for a 5.00 restocking fee seemed like good customer service.

Nothing to fill came fully charged and started my Psycho right up.

http://www.chromebattery.com/chrome-pro ... eries.html
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

SuperFlyBuddy wrote:I'm still pleased after six months with my new battery albeight more expensive that doesn't require modifying the battery compartment:
I got this battery in the Powersonic brand from the local battery shop 3 years ago. It was substantially cheaper than a Yuasa from the local bike shop.That also meant no shipping which acts as another discount. Performance has been great and, after 3 years, still going strong in our Buddy 125.