Stolen scooters in Boston

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

MollyMads

Stolen scooters in Boston

Post by MollyMads »

Hi everyone,

I hate for this to be my first post, but unfortunately it is. My boyfriend, Dan, and I met some of you guys on the Boston Genuine Appreciation Ride - I'm Melissa and I was on a white Buddy 50, Dan was on a red Buddy 50.

Unfortunately, this morning we went downstairs and our scooters were gone... :cry:

We've filed a police report and I'll post on Craigslist and call the dealer when they open, but, if anyone in the city can keep an eye out for them it would be great. They were stolen in Brighton, right off Comm Ave., sometime between 12:30 and 7:40 this morning. I'm guessing we'll never see them again, but I'm hoping. The white one is completely stock and the red one has a cracked headset and black Yamaha C3 mirrors. They both have green registration stickers.

Thanks.
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Damn the curse of the Buddy 50's (or any scooter for that matter) strikes again! Sorry for your loss...
Last edited by Drum Pro on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mutt the Hoople

Post by Mutt the Hoople »

Two Buddies? I am so sorry. Good luck and hope the outcome is positive. Rotten thieves. There is no joy in Beantown today :(
96 Decibel Freaks
uklemond

Post by uklemond »

That totally sucks.

We're they insured? I ride Boston daily so if on the long shot I see anything matching your description I will update you.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Makes me so mad, I too have come out in the morning and discovered someone felt they were entitled to something that was mine. So many scumbags out there.

I hope they turn up unscathed, maybe some brats looking for a joyride.
I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.
MollyMads

Post by MollyMads »

Thanks for your support - and uklemond, thanks for being on the lookout.

Unfortunately we only had basic collision on them. A year of full coverage was about half the cost of the scooter...I did call the insurance company and file a claim, but I'm not expecting anything to come of it.

Adding insult to scooter theft, my boyfriend and I just bought a house, so we're splitting time between the new house and the old apartment until we get the new place ready. Technically we don't even live in Brighton anymore. :evil: :cry:
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

Sorry to hear this. How were they secured ? 2 scooters chained together is a hard thing to steal...
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

check and see if your renters/homeowners insurance covers the theft.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Lokky wrote:check and see if your renters/homeowners insurance covers the theft.
THIS!

Sadly, when my car was broken into I had just moved a few weeks prior and renter's insurance wasn't required upon move-in like at complexes I had lived in prior, so I said "I'll get around to it" :cry: I hope you have it!
pumpedoncaffeine

Post by pumpedoncaffeine »

Wow I am sorry to hear that! I hope you insurance covers it. That is surprising how high your insurance is. Ours is full coverage for 95 a year each.

We have a 30x50 garage that we keep our locked up in at night and when not in use. We have never had anything stolen here, but we moved from Ft. Worth and old habits are hard to break.
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

I'm not sure if this is important but thought I'd post it anyway. I rode my red Buddy 125 to Super 88 yesterday (Sunday) at around noon. On the way out of the parking lot, some guy with a white top, dark shorts, and a cap on yelled out, "How much was that bike!" I happened to capture him on my helmet cam (but he was far away so I'm not sure his face is clear). However, I didn't stop to answer his question and just got the heck out of the parking lot because I wasn't sure if he was some creepy dude.
MollyMads

Post by MollyMads »

Sadly, between the renter's insurance and homeowner's insurance, there's still no coverage for our scooters.

Fortunately, (kind of) a girl who also recently had her buddy stolen was out looking for it and snapped the below pic of the thieves with our scooters in South Boston near the housing projects - mostly identifiable only by the C3 mirrors on the red one. At that time, she hadn't seen my craigslist post about them being stolen, but she took the pic since she figured they were. So, if anyone in the Boston area (likely specifically the South Boston area) sees one of these fine, young, gentlemen on our scooters, please call 911 ASAP.

In the meantime, Dan and I had been eyeballing a couple Buddy 170's since our new house is on the other side of the harbor, and thus requires use of the tunnels. We picked up 1 silver 170 on Tuesday night, and the other one is on order, and will hopefully be here soon. I have to give a great big thumbs up and high five to the guys at Scooters Go Green - they've been awesome.
Attachments
Scooter thieves smaller.jpg
Scooter thieves smaller.jpg (50.75 KiB) Viewed 2732 times
Mutt the Hoople

Hi. I reposted that photo on my Facebook status and am encouraging people to re-post and keep an eye out. Not from Boston myself but I have friends who are. I hope the creeps get caught and punished to the fullest extent the law allows. And then someone. An rip their nads off as well.

Sorry this happened to you and good luck with your new scooters.
96 Decibel Freaks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I take it the info has been given to the police?

what is your scoot insurance like? mine is through GEICO and has a $50 deductible that covers the scooter + up to 2500 worth of accessories.
Oparu

Post by Oparu »

I posted the picture on my facebook page too.
jonlink

Post by jonlink »

I'm not near South Boston, but I'll keep an eye out for one/both of these guys.
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

He bought beer, I bet it's on camera.
MollyMads

Post by MollyMads »

Thanks, everyone. There's nothing more enraging than seeing lowlife scum enjoying your things, but you guys are helping me maintain some of my faith in humanity.

Sadly we have no theft coverage. Our only hope is getting them back in some sort of non-destroyed condition.

The police have the picture. They're hitting Southie hard. Yesterday they recovered a Yamaha motorcycle that was stolen the same night and from the same area as our scooters, so fingers crossed ours show up soon.

Steve at Scooters Go Green thinks he recognizes one of the kids, so I passed what he told me onto the detectives. I'm sure they think I'm the most annoying girl to ever get her scooter stolen...
Mutt the Hoople

MollyMads wrote:Thanks, everyone. There's nothing more enraging than seeing lowlife scum enjoying your things, but you guys are helping me maintain some of my faith in humanity.

Sadly we have no theft coverage. Our only hope is getting them back in some sort of non-destroyed condition.

The police have the picture. They're hitting Southie hard. Yesterday they recovered a Yamaha motorcycle that was stolen the same night and from the same area as our scooters, so fingers crossed ours show up soon.

Steve at Scooters Go Green thinks he recognizes one of the kids, so I passed what he told me onto the detectives. I'm sure they think I'm the most annoying girl to ever get her scooter stolen...
No dear, you are not the one who is being annoying. You have every right to want your propery returned to you undamaged. The thieves are the annoying ones and I hope they get their just deserts. Back in my college days I had a beautiful Bianci bicycle that I worked very hard to pay for. And some little low life stole it. The police weren't very happy withe either but I did not bust my hump to earn the money to pay for my bike so some useless little pischer could steal it.
96 Decibel Freaks
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Cops love to bust people especialy when they can recover property for somebody. My sister says it's the only paperwork she fills out without it feeling like work. They take pictures with the recovered loot and hang it behind their desks like trophies.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You may also want to post to the scoot.net stolen scooter registry and post the pics to any local club/group boards. Scooters have been recovered this way!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

MollyMads wrote: I have to give a great big thumbs up and high five to the guys at Scooters Go Green - they've been awesome.
Hope you get you scoots back. I am visiting Scooters Go Green tomorrow to see Barton regarding a Stella 2009 2T leftover versus a 2012 4T.
He said the 4T is more reliable? Did the dealer give you any options about
stolen scooters etc what you could be done etc?
pdxrita

Post by pdxrita »

You know, they really look like they're just hanging out there, which means that might be a regular spot for them. If the person who took the picture can tell you what time it was taken, I'd think there's a good chance you could find there there again around that same time, at which point you could call the cops.
kitty

Post by kitty »

pdxrita wrote:You know, they really look like they're just hanging out there, which means that might be a regular spot for them. If the person who took the picture can tell you what time it was taken, I'd think there's a good chance you could find there there again around that same time, at which point you could call the cops.
If you know where it is, print out the picture and head to the stores in the area and give them the pictures with some info on it. There's a very good chance they'll be back there, hopefully the store can quietly cooperate with you.

If I were you, my blood would be boiling! The only good part is that you know they're not in pieces, so there's still plenty of hope! Ugh I can't stand scum like that. Definitely don't feel like you're being annoying! You pay taxes, the cops are there for this stuff. Granted sometimes in big cities you may worry that they have bigger fish to fry, and your scooter isn't on the top of the list, but it's on the list, and any info you can give the cops to help them locate it is good.

And always remember, there's more good people out there than bad, a lot of people are on your side. Keep your search as low profile as you can though, because you don't want to spook them into either ripping them apart or storing them away for good. If they've got the nerve to bring them out like that, I have a lot of faith that they're going to be caught. Hopefully they just get pulled over for doing something stupid and a connection is made.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

If you do recover them, park them at your new house and not your old apartment. The crooks know where your apartment is and you don't want any retailiation.
MollyMads

Post by MollyMads »

We've driven over to the location where the picture was taken and through the housing projects several times in the last few days and haven't spotted them yet. The picture was taken Sunday afternoon, only a number of hours after they were stolen, so we don't know what kind of condition they're in now, but we're hopeful they're not too messed up and that they turn up soon.

I would definitely bring that picture to the stores in the area, but Southie is a very very strange place. The long-time residents there a special breed, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take too kindly to an "outsider" trying to have one of "their kids" arrested, even though he's a scumbag. For now, I'm going to let the police handle that stuff. They've been very responsive and seem to be working at getting them back, even with their bigger fish to fry, so I'm thankful for that. They pulled over a guy on a red Buddy 50 yesterday who the officer thought didn't match the scooter - unfortunately, the owner of that (stolen) scooter had left the certificate of origin under the seat, so they let the guy go. I'm fairly certain it belonged to the girl who took the pictures of our stolen scooters...

We're mostly moved into the new house and are living there now. The one night we did stay at the apartment with the new 170, we brought it inside for the night.

I posted them on scoot.net last night. The dealer didn't have any ideas that we hadn't already done. The guy in the picture he recognized was recently involved in a break-in at the bar next to the dealer, so it shouldn't be too hard to identify him as his name should be on that police report.

Fingers still crossed...
mlo71

Post by mlo71 »

:evil: I to have bought my wifes buddy 125 from Barton.
I will be on the look out for these evil scooter thieves.
Good luck.Mark
amy

Post by amy »

I've posted this pon my facebook page as well. I've lots of family in Boston.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

I work in the financial district. Usually the only other Buddies I see are regulars, parked in their regular spots. I doubt I'll see these guys, since the only time I go into Southie is when I am heading to the scooter shop, but I'll keep an eye out.

My first scooter, stolen last year from my own back yard in Malden, was never recovered. I secure it a lot better back there now. (Actually chain it. Can't trust my neighbors, apparently)

I imagine BPD takes scooter thefts a little more seriously than the Malden PD did. The officer who came had to go back down to his cruiser because he didn't bother bringing up the actual stolen motor vehicle forms until I explained that, yes, the state considers this a motorcycle, and it has a high value. It is grand theft.
kitty

Post by kitty »

I was telling my mom about this tonight, my parents lived in Waltham and my mom worked in South Boston many years ago. She was very bummed for you too :(

Our fingers are still crossed for you. Sounds like there's a few good leads. When my car was broken into, they took fingerprints and I didn't really hear from the police after that, so I figured that was it. But I got a call about eight months later asking if I knew a certain name, I said no, they asked if he could have had any reason to be in my car, I said no. I guess they picked him up on something else and his prints matched my car. If people are scummy/stupid enough to steal a scooter, they're scummy/stupid enough to do other things, and it's only a matter of time. I really hope the scooters are returned unscathed, but even if that doesn't happen, they will end up caught for something.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

At the end of a long hallway is a small square enclosure, it has bars, and a door that is locked from the outside.
Inside the enclosure is a man named 'bubba', he likes new, young, detainees.

This is my vision for these low lifers.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
MollyMads

Post by MollyMads »

The white Buddy was recovered in Southie last night. The lowlife scum that stole it was riding it, and said his friend let him borrow it. Unfortunately, the officer didn't run the VIN so he didn't arrest the little maggot. Fortunately, the little maggot didn't have a driver's license, so the scooter was towed and they figured out it was stolen later. The little maggot was issued a summons to appear for driving without a license, so the motor vehicle theft charge can be added, in theory, but I have zero faith he gave the officer his real name...

My pretty girl isn't so pretty anymore. Both of her mirrors are gone, but she was recovered with the right C3 mirror off the stolen red Buddy. Her wheels have been spray painted black, her tires were greased, her grab bar was missing and there are scratches on every panel - none of them seem to be cracked though. Her ignition and seat latch are both busted, as well as the steering lock, but that was expected. Her registration sticker was also removed, so I'm not sure what to do about that. We stopped at Scooters Go Green after we picked her up from the tow lot. They replaced her grab bar and put a Scooters Go Green plate back on her, so she's looking a little normal again. (The guys at Scooters Go Green = Rockstars)

The red Buddy is still missing. It's a safe bet that it only has a left mirror now, and that the wheels have also been spray painted black, for those of you who are on the look out. Fingers still crossed he comes home soon and isn't completely destroyed.

For now, our white Buddy is resting comfortably in the living room at our new house until we can get her fixed back up...

I'm happy she's home, but seeing her so messed up is sad, and the fact that nobody got arrested is just so defeating.

Thanks for your support and kind words through this crappy experience.
Attachments
Stolen white buddy right side (640x480).jpg
Stolen white buddy right side (640x480).jpg (194.4 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
Mousenut

Post by Mousenut »

Very good to hear! I wish it could have been a bit better of an outcome but this news is still great over nothing.
amy

Post by amy »

It is LUDICROUS that the officer didn't run the VIN!

Will you file a complaint about that? Take it to the local news channel...That's what I'd do - even if they didn't do any kind of story, its worth a shot.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Umm, no, the cops have fulfilled their responsibility to the owner by recovering the scoot. Whether the punk gets prosecuted for grand theft is between the cops and the DA/State's attorney. Unfortunately, the owner doesn't get a vote nor a veto.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

amy wrote:It is LUDICROUS that the officer didn't run the VIN!

Will you file a complaint about that? Take it to the local news channel...That's what I'd do - even if they didn't do any kind of story, its worth a shot.
They may not have been able to. I was talking to a meter maid (What do you call a male one?) one day about scooter parking on the sidewalk. He told me that if it doesn't have a plate, they can't actually look anything up. Their hand-held parking database lookup things don't work for VINs, so maybe the computers in the local police cars are the same.

It also may not have been obvious that the VIN is on that little plate, and it would be awkward bending over to read the thing, leaving the officer vulnerable to all sorts of things while trying to read the number.
MollyMads

Post by MollyMads »

I just went and looked, and the plate with the VIN was removed. Mystery solved. They must've located the one stamped on the frame after it was towed...

For now, I'm keeping my mouth shut about what I hope happens to the thieves until I can come up with something really awesome and appropriate. :evil: :twisted: :evil:
spr0k3t

Post by spr0k3t »

I'm glad to hear you got at least one back. I'm sure they will be able to track down the other pretty quick. Even if the scumbag didn't give his real name, they at least took a good description.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Well that's some good news! Think of it as a reason to do something fun with her, a new paint scheme, some racing stripes, give her the spa treatment.

Fingers still crossed for the other one (and for some justice!)
michelle_7728

Post by michelle_7728 »

You might want to consider getting comprehensive coverage added to your new 170i scooters, just in case. :)

What a pain in the butt. Glad you got the one back!
hartmanne

Stolen Buddy in Boston

Post by hartmanne »

My boyfriend and I just had our Buddy 150 stolen in front of our South End apartment overnight on Wednesday night as well! I was surprised to see that it happened to you around the same time. I'm wondering if it was the same person or group. Luckily it was found yesterday, and strangely enough it was a block away from the apartment. The thief jammed the ignition to try and hotwire it, but was unsuccessful. He also wasn't able to get past the wheel lock, but he made the whole steering wheel slightly cockeyed. When he couldn't figure it out, he just dumped it near the apartment and yesterday it was towed. Keep your buddy safe and watch out for these thieves!
kooky scientist

Post by kooky scientist »

Glad to hear you guys are getting your scooters back. Are you chaining them up to anything ? I always chain it up when I'm in Boston.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

When it comes to cops and scooters, just remember: You are on your own. You are a low-priority. The city really doesn't care about you, the citizen, and the scooter.

It sucks, but it also means you have to take action into your own hands. Living in Phoenix, car and bike theft is rampant! Most stolen autos end up used as joyrides for gang bangers, smuggler rides or taken over into Mexico and sold there. And, with so much rural area it's easy to take a bike or a car and make it fall off the face of the planet.

Major lockdown of scoots, secure parking and concealment of the bike are all things that you really just need to amp up. It sucks and it's a pretty sad state of the world, but ... that's the hand scooter riders are dealt. It really hasn't changed from the 50's when these bikes started to become common place in the rest of the world.

I'm really glad you got the scoot back! It's rare to actually find a stolen ride again, and aside from a bunch of cosmetic, it sounds like the bike is way better off than most recovered. At least you have something to work towards in getting it back on the road!
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

MollyMads wrote:The white Buddy was recovered in Southie last night Her registration sticker was also removed, so I'm not sure what to do about that.
We met Sat am at the scooter shop I was waiting to test drive the Stella.
Glad you have one safe and sound now gives you a chance to customize a little and make good as new and unique for you. Regarding the reg sticker if you still have your paper from the DMV they may be able to give you a replacement
sticker or they should be able to look it up in the system. Would be worth a try. Hope you get the other one back soon as well.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

[quote="kitty"]Well that's some good news! Think of it as a reason to do something fun with her, a new paint scheme

Hi Kitty just wondering what color if the picture of the stella on your post
is your 2009 Stella 2T. Reason I ask it look like the color of the left over 2009 2T I am looking at. How have you found the 2009 2T so far what how long have you had and miles so far. Overall any issues. Thanks.
kitty

Post by kitty »

50CC Cape Cod wrote: Hi Kitty just wondering what color if the picture of the stella on your post
is your 2009 Stella 2T. Reason I ask it look like the color of the left over 2009 2T I am looking at. How have you found the 2009 2T so far what how long have you had and miles so far. Overall any issues. Thanks.
Powder Blue, she's a 2009 2T, and I just got her about a month ago. Currently 250 miles, so I can't give you too much of a review yet besides that I absolutely love her.
50CC Cape Cod

Post by 50CC Cape Cod »

Thanks Kitty. I like the fact the Stella is old style and shifts different than a MC. I have automatic & manual cars and like the feel of driving both but prefer the auto in stop & go traffic otherwise the shift adds to the ride. That is why I think I like the Stella have you driven a 4T as well and noticed any overall difference?
MollyMads

Post by MollyMads »

The first and only night we ever left them outside and not chained up was the night they were stolen. Lesson learned - the 170's have comprehensive insurance coverage and will never be left outside unlocked.

The detective I've been working with has been very responsive. I've spoken to him almost every day for the past week, so as long as the little bastard can be identified, motor vehicle theft charges are likely. (Fingers crossed. Is the death penalty an option for scooter theft?)

On further inspection, it appears they did try to scratch off the VIN from the frame, but weren't successful at it.

Neo - I know what you mean about stolen cars falling off the face of the earth there. I grew up on the NM/Mexico border. Boston doesn't have the threat of stolen vehicles wandering into Mexico, but I wasn't expecting to get either of them back, ever, and especially not within a week of them being stolen. (I also didn't expect it to be about $1,000 to get her back to her pre-stolen condition, but that's a whole other issue.)

50CC - It was good meeting you on Saturday, though I wish it had been under happier circumstances. Still no decision on the 2T vs. 4T?
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

I'm in Charlestown right now and just on my way over here I've seen two people on scooters who were not following traffic laws. The last guy I saw had no helmet and no registration visible.

Every time I see an occurrence like that I always wonder if its a stolen scooter.
ed85379

Post by ed85379 »

mukaiboston wrote:I'm in Charlestown right now and just on my way over here I've seen two people on scooters who were not following traffic laws. The last guy I saw had no helmet and no registration visible.

Every time I see an occurrence like that I always wonder if its a stolen scooter.
No helmet? Almost certainly stolen.
Then again, I don't think helmets are technically required for 50cc scoots.

I've never seen someone riding without a helmet. But then, most of my riding is at or just after rush-hour, when thieves are not on the road.