Amerivespa 2012, June 21-24, Lake Geneva, WI

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Shame. Woot had the GoPro 1080p HD Helmet Hero for $129 over the weekend.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

PeteH wrote:Shame. Woot had the GoPro 1080p HD Helmet Hero for $129 over the weekend.
Well, Murphy's law plays out like that with me usually. When I have tons of cash, there is nothing I need around for a decent price. For example, now that I have my bike there are TONS of P200's showing up in Phoenix for a grand less than I paid. Before hand for nearly a year, you couldn't find a damn one!

Eh, $65 is still half the price. And, for my first attempt at video work on bikes it's good to start with a basic durable cam than to lose an expensive one. The handheld cameras are going to be waterproof Toshibas that I've had good experience with before and shoot in 1080i, but honestly perform better at 720p @ 60 FPS for only $100 (usually $165)
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

teacherquinn wrote:And nothing beats a bed after riding all day...
Or a shower! And good food... cold beer... fellow exhausted riders :)

I am so psyched for the ride! Sure do hope I can manage to pull off going with you all.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Well whatever we lack in energy, you'll surely make up for it in enthusiasm!
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
teacherquinn wrote:And nothing beats a bed after riding all day...
Or a shower! And good food... cold beer... fellow exhausted riders :)

I am so psyched for the ride! Sure do hope I can manage to pull off going with you all.
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

teacherquinn wrote:Minimum of 5-6 days.
Each way! And that's why I can't do the ride. :cry:
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

Here's what we need to do in the future. You and Kevin split the ride. One rides there and the other rides back. Neither of you get that much time off and it would be a great solution. Just don't crash his GTS, k?
ericalm wrote:
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

teacherquinn wrote:Here's what we need to do in the future. You and Kevin split the ride. One rides there and the other rides back. Neither of you get that much time off and it would be a great solution. Just don't crash his GTS, k?
ericalm wrote:
That's actually not a bad idea at all!
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
teacherquinn wrote:Here's what we need to do in the future. You and Kevin split the ride. One rides there and the other rides back. Neither of you get that much time off and it would be a great solution. Just don't crash his GTS, k?
ericalm wrote: Each way! And that's why I can't do the ride. :cry:
So smart. No wonder she's a teacher. Eric maybe you and I could figure something similar out.

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote:
So smart. No wonder she's a teacher. Eric maybe you and I could figure something similar out.
I don't know if I'll have time to ride it one way!

Also, if I wait for you to buy a GTS, I might make it to Amerivespa 2014. :P
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:
Skootz Kabootz wrote:
ericalm wrote: That's actually not a bad idea at all!
I don't know if I'll have time to ride it one way!

Also, if I wait for you to buy a GTS, I might make it to Amerivespa 2014. :P
Heh :) My plan is underway. May 1 is the target date to either own or be shopping for a Bonneville or a GTS (or some other touring scooter). Never say never :) It's getting the time off work that could be tough.

iMoses

Post by iMoses »

....CHANGE OF PLANS....

I just got talked into making time for this.... at the moment 4 of us from KC will be trailering up to Wisconsin. The boss has okayed my vacation time and I did the early bird registration.

So I hope to see some of you good folks at Amerivespa this summer.

I'll be on my 07 Buddy 125, for this rally.
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

I'm going to try to book this week and make it up there from Tennessee with the La Vita in the back of a truck.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is going to be a great year!
JohnnyScoots

Post by JohnnyScoots »

ericalm wrote:This is going to be a great year!
I'll agree to that, my friend! In March I'll be heading to New Orleans for the "Big Easy Weekender" to kick it off. I'm going to hit as many East Coast events as I can this year in addition to Amerivespa.

*edit* and I'm definitely getting a GoPro to document it all.
Last edited by JohnnyScoots on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Southerner

Post by Southerner »

You guys just take lotsa pictures and report back to us unfortunates, please.

And have fun.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I was hoping to ride all the way out. But, as others, just not enough time. May try to get a large group together and trailer a bunch of scoots out. I have access to a LARGE equipment trailer.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

JohnnyScoots wrote:
I'll agree to that, my friend! In March I'll be heading to New Orleans for the "Big Easy Weekender" to kick it off. I'm going to hit as many East Coast events as I can this year in addition to Amerivespa.

The New Orleans scooterists are awesome! They really know how to put on a good event, too. Wish I could make it, but all my non-CA rally traveling money this year will be put into AV.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Well, my bid for Amerivespa is no longer. With the bike needing rebuilt, us needing to move by next month to a new place, a new job and a looming bankruptcy, we just can't afford it :cry:

This is on top of my bike's inability to pass emisssions to get plates and the need of it getting an entire top end rebuild with not a shop to work on it in.

I'll just have to live vicariously through others on this trip

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
hcstrider

Post by hcstrider »

As of Feb. 1 when I registered, Amerivespa was still honoring their early bird registration. For the past few weeks I've been debating whether to attend and the answer is YES, I'm in.
Wayne
The safest rule, no ifs or buts
Just drive like everyone else is nuts! (Burma Shave)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Glad to hear it! We've got a good group here and it'll be nice to meet a lot of folks face-to-face! 8)
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
teacherquinn

Post by teacherquinn »

ericalm wrote:
JohnnyScoots wrote:

The New Orleans scooterists are awesome! They really know how to put on a good event, too. Wish I could make it, but all my non-CA rally traveling money this year will be put into AV.
Well you won't be spending any money for ROM this year!
Linda
Vice President
Vespa Club of America
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

teacherquinn wrote:
ericalm wrote:
JohnnyScoots wrote: I'll agree to that, my friend! In March I'll be heading to New Orleans for the "Big Easy Weekender" to kick it off. I'm going to hit as many East Coast events as I can this year in addition to Amerivespa.

Well you won't be spending any money for ROM this year!
No Kidding huh? What a crash and burn that rally has turned in to.

Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

hcstrider wrote:As of Feb. 1 when I registered, Amerivespa was still honoring their early bird registration. For the past few weeks I've been debating whether to attend and the answer is YES, I'm in.
Thanks for the reminder, I just did it. Still works!
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com
etak

Post by etak »

Well, we missed early bird, but my husband Jim and I just registered and reserved a room at Harbor Shores.
We'll be riding from Brooklyn, me on the Blackjack, him on his GTS 300.
Can't wait!
Kate
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

TVB

Post by TVB »

I hate to say this, because this is almost in my backyard, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to swing this. In order to get the week-plus that I'll need later in the summer to ride up to Tahquamenon Falls, I need to avoid taking time off for other things. Likewise, money's still tight after the past year's medical expenses, which again means there's only enough in the piggy bank for one big outing. And no offense, but if I have to choose between the solitude of the open road and a swarm of people (even swell folks like y'all)... I choose the open road.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

And no offense, but if I have to choose between the solitude of the open road and a swarm of people (even swell folks like y'all)... I choose the open road.
If it helps, we sometimes smell like the "open road" (or maybe something laying in it...). Seriously, sorry to hear you won't make it.
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

Part of me *still* wants to do this, even if it would be solo (my friend STILL has not learned how to ride her bike or has even bothered to register it. It's a $4000 cat lounge right now). I just have to figure out how to do it on the UBER cheap and if the Rattler would be up for it. I wouldn't mind a bare-bones road trip like I was 21 again honestly. Just my bike, a sleeping bag and my wits. Of course, we have to see if the summer off-season would even still be viable financially for me to afford to take the financial risk. Even a few hundred bucks in the off season is a risk.

Still thinking about it. If there are some other Arizona riders considering the trek on bike I may be game still

Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

Just in case this helps - There are going to be several Genuine-specific activities at Amerivespa. As in, ride your Genuine to _____ and something will happen. It sounds like a very cool event for Genuine riders... and so my decision is made. It's the Blur, and probably trucked to the event (family is coming along :? )
Rovers SC
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Rippinyarn wrote:Just in case this helps - There are going to be several Genuine-specific activities at Amerivespa. As in, ride your Genuine to _____ and something will happen. It sounds like a very cool event for Genuine riders... and so my decision is made. It's the Blur, and probably trucked to the event (family is coming along :? )
I was just talking to someone at Genuine about this. Plans are afoot!
etak

Post by etak »

ericalm wrote:
Rippinyarn wrote:Just in case this helps - There are going to be several Genuine-specific activities at Amerivespa. As in, ride your Genuine to _____ and something will happen. It sounds like a very cool event for Genuine riders... and so my decision is made. It's the Blur, and probably trucked to the event (family is coming along :? )
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.
-Leonard Cohen

Syd

Post by Syd »

etak wrote:
ericalm wrote:
Did they intimate any big announcements? Huh? Huh? Didthey?
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Syd wrote:
etak wrote:
ericalm wrote: I was just talking to someone at Genuine about this. Plans are afoot!
Events, yes. Scooters… I dunno.
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:
Syd wrote:
etak wrote: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Events, yes. Scooters… I dunno.
I had to ask, you understand. For Peabody's sake. :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

I'll see if I can unearth anything this weekend at Dealer Expo... no promises!
Rovers SC
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

If anything, there may be some new color combos. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-tone Stellas.

I would LOVE to see the LML automatic smallframes they showed at EICMA. I could sell a handful of those with a couple emails!
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:If anything, there may be some new color combos. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2-tone Stellas.

I would LOVE to see the LML automatic smallframes they showed at EICMA. I could sell a handful of those with a couple emails!
Uh, yes please!! I'll take one in black thank you. I'd sell my nice MIDI controller and a few guns for one of those machines

pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

AWESOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME! Can't wait to ride the Buddy up there! :D
Lokky

Post by Lokky »

pugbuddy wrote:
AWESOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMME! Can't wait to ride the Buddy up there! :D
damn damn damn now I MUST figure out how to get myself there this summer
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Seriously thinking about making this event for the 3rd time :)
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:Seriously thinking about making this event for the 3rd time :)
I can almost guarantee a lot more riding than in the past 2 years. Almost.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

You and Rosa can do it! Heck, I'm riding the Buddy; you can do the truck thing again! :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

pugbuddy wrote:
You and Rosa can do it! Heck, I'm riding the Buddy; you can do the truck thing again! :D
What about others from tulsa who went to new orleans? Are they going?
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

gearhead wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:
I'm out this year, I'll be going to one of the East Coast rallies. Cynthia on the silver Bajaj is going and the older couple, Anne & Tom are still on the fence.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

gearhead wrote:
pugbuddy wrote:
I'm no longer good enough for you! I see how you are! :lol:
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Sadly, I'm out. My job just went away. Bah. :(

Plisar

Post by Plisar »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Sadly, I'm out. My job just went away. Bah. :(
WHAT!?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:Sadly, I'm out. My job just went away. Bah. :(
Man, sorry to hear it. :(
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Sad to see that i wont be seeing many of similar faces
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

When is Third Coast rally, Jed? Since that damn P stuck (again!) I won't make North Texas Lakes but may try for Third Coast
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:Sad to see that i wont be seeing many of similar faces
Fresh blood!