Removing LICENSE PLATE HOLDER/MUDFLAP

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CountChocula

Removing LICENSE PLATE HOLDER/MUDFLAP

Post by CountChocula »

Hi Everyone.

Just got my Low Power Scooter Sticker for the buddy. Was planning on putting it under the lit area where a license plate normally goes.

But it looks silly, and am hesitant to put it on.

The tag is only about a 1" x 2" Rectangle.

Couple of questions...

1) Can the whole bracket be removed EASILY (any pictures/ instructions)

2) Any Colorado Buddy riders that have pics of their Stickers anywhere else on the frame?

Not that it's a huge hurry....we've got almost a foot of snow today!

Thanks
The Count
Attachments
low.jpg
low.jpg (2.63 KiB) Viewed 1022 times
Last edited by CountChocula on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Michelle's illustrated thread on brake-light-modulator installation shows what's on and around the license plate bracket, although it looks like the bracket is held to the body with a couple of pop-rivets that would need to be drilled out. Have a look at the photos and see:

topic13226.html
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

So I figured out how to remove it but it apparently is also a cosmetic cover for some brake light/turn signal wiring.

I just think the mud flap is the ugliest part of the buddy and it just needs the tiny sticker on the back.

I was thinking of cutting it down maybe just below the side reflector line....but that might be even uglier lol.

Anybody do anything like this??

Every pic I see has the mudflap.

Thanks

The Count
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

Several of us have bobbed our rear fenders. Try the search function.
Just be aware that you will throw all kinds of road crud on your back.

Mine is cut down but I didn't like my jacket and/or backpack getting so grimy so I re-customized it. I ordered a mudflap from JC Whitney, attached that to the fender extension that I never used and then attached all of that back to the bobbed rear fender. I think it looks pretty decent.

Here it is originally "bobbed" . The stripe on the rear tire hugger is reflective; I miss having that show :?

and here is how I have it now. Looks OK and keeps my back clean.

.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
TVB

Post by TVB »

The license plate (and side reflector) holder is held in place by two rivets. My rivets failed recently, and I had to re-rivet it back on (because I want to keep the reflectors).
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

Interesting.

So yeah mines just a 50 and just need the tiny sticker.

I think I may try cutting it down with a dremel or air saw.

I'm thinking the easiest would be to do it just under the bracket that has the reflectors because it will be a straight cut....Then I can even take the bracket off and just do a rough cut bc it will be under the bracket.

Other than flying debris...anybody have any other reasons not to??

Thanks!

The Count
[/img]
Witch

Post by Witch »

If you ever move to another state, or sell the bike to someone who lives elsewhere, the bike may actually need that license plate bracket. Some states give even the 50s plates.

If it were me, I'd just do like you're thinking, and cut it as far up as I could without cutting that plate bracket off.
issue31

Post by issue31 »

:idea: Get a piece of white plastic or tefflon. Cover it with DOT reflectorived red tape (any auto stor). put your tag in the middle. Presto good reflector, place for your tag, and do not have to mess around with removing anything. issue31 John :!:
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

I have mine bobbed off pretty high up on my Rattler. I think that it looks pretty cool but as mentioned earlier, you will get a little dirty if riding in less than ideal conditions.

JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

Personally, I favor the look of the 'flap.
Riding is riding
SuperCyclone.81

Dont like the sports bike look?
batgirl101

Post by batgirl101 »

i bobbed the fender, love the look but all the crap slung on my scoot and back is the trade off. hopefully that will happen only in rainy weather.
SuperCyclone.81

Ya I haven't noticed it except for when the road is pretty wet. And I only ride in that weather if I have to so it works out fine for my situation.
JHScoot

Post by JHScoot »

SuperCyclone.81 wrote:Dont like the sports bike look?
I've tried to look at it that way. Doesn't quite work for me, so I just reason it's a scooter fender. :D
Riding is riding