A Special Place in Hell

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

oswald

A Special Place in Hell

Post by oswald »

Hello to all my Scoot Friends

I just had to vent a little after the actions of some idiot this weekend. I had just purchased my new Silver Glitter Scooter Helmet and decided to take a spin. I stopped at a local bookstore to pick up a magazine, placed my helmet on the back my Stella like I always do, and when I walked out, the helmet was stolen off of my scooter.

Now I take responsibility for leaving my helmet on the back of my scoot, I know that I was taking the risk, and should have just carried it in with me, and mostly I just wanted to vent to my scooter friends that would at understand.

But really, who steals a helmet off of the back of a scooter, in a small town. I have been in major cities and not thought twice about leaving my helmet on the back of my bike. But Lesson learned on my part
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

Wow. That so totally sucks! Talk about going from hi to low. Yeesh. Some people. Whoever took it is in for a nasty surprise somewhere down the road with all that bad karma wrapped up in something that is supposed to save their life.

One thought I had, did you pay for it with a credit card? If I remember correctly, don't some cards cover you for theft for a period after you purchase something? Maybe you are covered?

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

bummer man... I just got a nice new helmet and now I will be extry careful.
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Sorry theft is a sickness.

Just out of curiosity what does a "Silver Glitter Scooter Helmet" look like?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Does the Stella not have a peg like the Buddy or Vespa which allows you to lock the chinstrap under the seat when you leave the bike?
rsrider

Post by rsrider »

You know you should never leave anything on your scooter that can be picked up by someone just walking by. People steal because of opportunity, and by leaving something on your scooter, you've provided a golden opportunity. I bet you don't leave your next helmet lying on the seat of your scooter when you go inside a store.

I will tell everyone that you should buy a locking cable. I have a couple of these cables. http://store.winner-intl.com/cables--ca ... s-c10.aspx You can run them through the opening of your fullface helmet, and also through the arm of your jacket, securing all your kit to your scooter/MC. This will not prevent someone from pissing in your helmet however.

Hell isn't a place, it is other people. You've experienced a bit of hell caused by another person. Trust is something earned, not given, especially to strangers. Why would your trust a world of people whom you don't know?

This is pretty cool also. http://store.winner-intl.com/the-club-t ... w-p16.aspx
Using the internet for evil since 1994.
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

rsrider wrote:
Hell isn't a place, it is other people.
So true unfortunately. I see folks leave their helmets on their bikes unlocked all the time. I would never do it myself but folks shouldn't have to worry about some asshole stealing their stuff either. Unfortunately we don't live in a "shouldn't have to" world, we live in the kind of world that have made the folks who produce locks very very wealthy :evil: I keep all my gear in my topcase and sometimes that doesn't feel secure enough.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

CWO4GUNNER wrote: Just out of curiosity what does a "Silver Glitter Scooter Helmet" look like?
ModBud #442
CWO4GUNNER

Post by CWO4GUNNER »

Ah-ha thanks polianarchy. Just so happens I broke down and decided to take members advice and put the bicycle helmet away get a half helmet for $29 on sale. The red, yellow and black flames match my Pamplona color scheme.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Think of it this way oswald, at least now you can go out and get that rogue squadron helmet you REALLY wanted. :wink:
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Think of it this way oswald, at least now you can go out and get that rogue squadron helmet you REALLY wanted. :wink:
Or something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Starwars ... 0598288312

Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn73SkixvwY
BuddyBliss

Post by BuddyBliss »

Hi Oswald, I'm really sorry to hear about the helmet, and geez, how awful that you didn't even get to enjoy it for a day!

I live in a small town too, the kinda place people don't lock their doors, and it is a serious bummer to have something taken, but I don't want to go back to living in "lock down" mode the way I was when I lived in the city. I wasted a lot of energy there always checking my back.

I hope you'll be able to shrug this off as just one of those things, and don't let it shake your faith in humanity. It was a probably a kid, or maybe someone who is a little "off." Heck they could be wearing your helmet right now and fashioning tinfoil antennas for all we know.

Hope your day gets better.
Suzy
Cheeky Seats
RoadRambler

Post by RoadRambler »

Man, that just stinks! :evil: Sorry you had your helmet stolen, and to have it be brand new is just the limit! You have my complete sympathy.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

sorry to hear..I hate thieves...fun helmet though...Hope you got another !
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Sorry to hear of your loss, Oswald. I hope you can replace your helmet at little or no cost.

I rode through Dallas once and stopped at a Half Price Bookstore. Went inside and left my backpack bungied to the back rack. I go out after about an hour and, to my surprise, I had also left my keys in the ignition! Nothing gone; I count myself blessed.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Oh man, that really stinks. Many times I have just hung my helmet on my mirror. That's just lazy on my part though, I usually lock it up. My brother in law rides a gold wing and he never even removes the key! Just leaves it parked with the helmet on the seat and the key in the ignition. :shock: He has never had a problem. Some people have all the luck.
Desiree

Post by Desiree »

I suppose the upside is...at least they didn't steal your Buddy. :D