Buddy 150 cigar lighter power receptacle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

CROSSBOLT

Buddy 150 cigar lighter power receptacle

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Really nice touch! However, after getting the mount for a Garmin Nuvi (wide) and installing it on wifey's Buddy we set off on a ride. First, the Nuvi does not have bright enough a display for daytime viewing. Second, the power plug jiggles out of the receptacle really fast! Lastly, I am looking for a plug/receptacle system to put in parallel with the existing. Any suggestions?

Karl
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I haven't had the loose-plug issue with mine - a cellphone charger stayed plugged in with no problems. However, if you wanted a little more reliability, you could find a matched set of two-conductor plastic Molex connectors of some sort, and wire that in parallel to the 12v socket. Put one half on your accessory (or better yet, make a short adapter cable with a 12v female socket on one end and the Molex connector on the other, so as not to permanantly cannibalize your Garmin cable. You could then rest the whole mess in the glove bin to avoid any gravity strain).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You just want a second 12V adapter? They're very easy to install! I did one on my Vespa, which doesn't have one at all. And I'm a DOLT when it comes to electrical. :)

The parts can be found at Radio Shack.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

Yeah, you could use fancier locking connectors, or, as Eric says, you could wire a 12v female socket with about a foot or so of slack wire and leave it coiled up in the bin. That would probably fix your wiggly problem :).
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Posi-lock connectors + a $3 female socket part. :)

Very easy to drill an extra hole in the glove bucket to mount the socket, too.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
BuddyLicious

Post by BuddyLicious »

I noticed many at the MV site use the 12V marine grade waterproof locking lighter socket on their scoots.The marine grade are a bit better and can be picked up at any boating store.

http://tinyurl.com/3f6qodv

http://tinyurl.com/3zjkska

http://tinyurl.com/424xas6
Aerosmith, None Other.
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Thanks all! BuddyLiscious, does this socket lock on any 12v cigar-type plug? This would be ideal if it does: just replace the regular buddy-supplied socket with the the twist-lock type.

Karl
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

CROSSBOLT wrote:Thanks all! BuddyLiscious, does this socket lock on any 12v cigar-type plug? This would be ideal if it does: just replace the regular buddy-supplied socket with the the twist-lock type.l
The ones I've seen, you wopuld need to change out the female socket (easy enough or add a 2nd one as Eric suggested. But hey, Karl, what are you doing smoking cigars while you are riding your Buddy anyway?
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Radioshack!
CROSSBOLT

Post by CROSSBOLT »

Har, har, Dooglas! My wife has the Buddy and she DOES complain about the cigar smoke smell!!

Karl