New Tires

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

andylaiphoto

New Tires

Post by andylaiphoto »

I've been scouting around for parts since I got my Buddy 125 a few weeks ago. I'm glad to see that overall prices for tires are relatively cheap. Tires for my bicycles cost more than the average of what I've found for Buddies.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what tires you have played with and what you thought of them in comparison to the oem.
Andy Lai Photography
http://www.andylaiphoto.com

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

I didn't like the oem tires particularly bc they were 3.5/10's, the rear one lasted for 7,000 miles or so and then I switched to the vee rubbers in size 100/90-10, which looked a little more appealing and with the speeds I was going gave me a bit piece of mind.

I liked the vee rubbers, it had sporty tread and were relatively cheap for $25 or so each. Handling was great. I got a flat with a screw in it at about 10,000 miles so I switched both front and rear with the prima whitewalls. I love them, the look and the sporty tire tread.

What amazed me was when I swapped the front tire (oem) for the prima's, the tread was still very good, i probably could've gone 5,000 or so more miles on them :shock:
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

Lots of threads already here talking about tires. The search feature on this board isn't the best but dig around and you'll find many of the answers to the questions you've got. Better than the forum search is to use google and start with "site:modernbuddy.com" which will only search this site. Ex: "site:modernbuddy.com tires" It's fine to start new topics but you'll get much more info (and get it quicker) with a search.

Here's a recent thread.

Here's one that's still here on the front page.

Personally I have used Shinko whitewalls (stock on my Italia) which were bad. I didn’t realize how bad until I tried better tires!

I have had Michelin S1's and while they are GREAT for our riding climate- very sticky, good in the rain- the rear tire wore out fairly quickly. I now have a Vee Rubber VRM 134 on the rear (with the S1 still on the front) and it's solid too.
andylaiphoto

Post by andylaiphoto »

Thanks or the search tip.

Would you be able to also inform me of how to size the tire correctly. The owners manual shows that the tires are 3.5-10 but the sizing on aftermarket tires don't always list in that format. Something like 120/70-10, is there a conversion formula so I know what's close to oem in size?
Andy Lai Photography

r0sa

Post by r0sa »

The two sizes i know and have tried that fits the buddy is 130/70-10 for the rear and the 100/90-10 for both front and rear
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

You can probably try to it a 110/90-10 on the front
jmazza

Post by jmazza »

andylaiphoto wrote:Thanks or the search tip.

Would you be able to also inform me of how to size the tire correctly. The owners manual shows that the tires are 3.5-10 but the sizing on aftermarket tires don't always list in that format. Something like 120/70-10, is there a conversion formula so I know what's close to oem in size?
3.5x10 and 100/90-10 will both definitely fit. 100/90-10 is a bit wider which I like. I wasn't aware of 130/70-10 being a fit too.
andylaiphoto

Post by andylaiphoto »

So the first number is the width?
The second number is sidewall?
And the last number is diameter of the wheel?
Andy Lai Photography

andylaiphoto

Post by andylaiphoto »

Andy Lai Photography

gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Those will not fit