2008 Buddy 125: speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge not workin

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Heinekev

2008 Buddy 125: speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge not workin

Post by Heinekev »

Hello all --

I had my scooter serviced by Commonwealth Motorsports in Louisville KY (also where I bought it brand new) after a wreck last June. The scoot runs great, but the gauge cluster wasn't working at all.

After taking the plastic moulding around the speedo off, I saw that they had not properly reconnected a power cord going to the speedo. Connected it back up and the signal indicators started showing up. But after driving it around, speedo is still not working neither is the odometer, and the fuel gauge shows E even though the tank is full.

I suspect they didn't understand the wiring and just connected stuff where they thought it should be, which is disappointing... but I haven't ridden all winter and now the window of opportunity to take it back to them and have them fix what they should've fixed in the first place is passed.

Is there a wiring diagram and/or anything I should look for? The speedo cable going to the wheel seems to be secure on both ends and I don't see any breaks in it anywhere

thanks!
2007 Suzuki M50
2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250
2008 Genuine Buddy 125 (Orange)
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

when connecting and disconnecting the harness to the gauge, it is just a bundle of wires attached to a connector. so either some wires there got disconnected from the connector, or you have a faulty gauge. take off that plastics and you will be able to see for yourself
mattgordon

Re: 2008 Buddy 125: speedometer, odometer, fuel gauge not wo

Post by mattgordon »

Heinekev wrote:Hello all --

I had my scooter serviced by Commonwealth Motorsports in Louisville KY (also where I bought it brand new) after a wreck last June. The scoot runs great, but the gauge cluster wasn't working at all.

After taking the plastic moulding around the speedo off, I saw that they had not properly reconnected a power cord going to the speedo. Connected it back up and the signal indicators started showing up. But after driving it around, speedo is still not working neither is the odometer, and the fuel gauge shows E even though the tank is full.

I suspect they didn't understand the wiring and just connected stuff where they thought it should be, which is disappointing... but I haven't ridden all winter and now the window of opportunity to take it back to them and have them fix what they should've fixed in the first place is passed.

Is there a wiring diagram and/or anything I should look for? The speedo cable going to the wheel seems to be secure on both ends and I don't see any breaks in it anywhere

thanks!
The speedo and odo are purely mechanically driven.

I would double check that the squared inner "spring" portion of the cable is indeed seated into the the squared drive at the wheel, and also fully seated in the gauge side, as it is possible to connect the outer portion of the cable and have it look correct, but the inner part not properly seated internally.

Will require unscrewing the cable and re-seating. Check that the squared-off hole in the drive isn't rounded off too.

Worth a look-see.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I would say the first thing is to really make sure that the connections in the headset are tight enough. That speedo cable is a PITA!

In the tech section, the headlight replacement threads have pics of the cables and wiring in there.
Scooter Commuter
scarletfire

Post by scarletfire »

Anyone have tips on reconnecting this cable? It seems to be about an inch too short to re-attach while still keeping my hand from being sliced off by the handlebar cover.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

I disconnect mine at the bottom, connect the top, replace the headset and then recconnect the bottom. Should give you plenty of room to get it back together again.
The Racer's Motto:
Broken bones heal,
Chicks dig the scars,
The pain is temporary,
but the glory is forever!