Amerivespa 2011: New Orleans

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

gearhead

Post by gearhead »

so everyone is planning on staying at the hilton? I'll go ahead and get everything sorted out before the end of this month
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Not sure where pugbuddy is staying, but polianarchy and I will be at the Hilton with a bunch of ladies from my club. I heard there's a Marriott nearby that has a better rate.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Staying at the Hilton. There are still rooms available at the rally rate.
Last edited by ericalm on Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Wow, what are the prices normally?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:Wow, what are the prices normally?
Not sure. The rally rates are:
· $140 per night for single and double occupancy
· $160 per night for triple / quad occupancy

They're good for several days before & after if you call to make your reservation.

See: http://www.amerivespa.org/lodging.html
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

How many people max can you fit in each? Lol have like 5 people in the $140 room
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

You only have to tell them it's double occupancy then hide the sleeping bags when housekeeping comes!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Hmmmmm..... :twisted:
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

lmyers wrote:Not sure where pugbuddy is staying, but polianarchy and I will be at the Hilton with a bunch of ladies from my club. I heard there's a Marriott nearby that has a better rate.
I'm still looking for a roomy so no commitment yet. Buying the new scoot, along with a number of work changes for the worse, is taxing my economic stability.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

let's just all pile up in a double occupancy... the cheaper the better.. speaking from a broke student's perspective that is.. :roll:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

gearhead wrote:let's just all pile up in a double occupancy... the cheaper the better.. speaking from a broke student's perspective that is.. :roll:
I did that a lot when I was a broke student but paid my dues so I wouldn't have to anymore! :)
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I'm broke too, I'll be sleeping on a friend's couch. :P
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I'm broke too, I'll be sleeping on a friend's couch. :P
Is it going to be weird when people spot you across the hotel and yell, "Hey, KRUSTY!"?
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

You know it's odd, nobody has ever called me Krusty in real life except maybe BuddyRaton and it didn't seem weird. I've never had a nickname before (not so sure Krusty is an especially good one) but I guess I could live with it. :lol:
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

KRUSTYburger wrote:You know it's odd, nobody has ever called me Krusty in real life except maybe BuddyRaton and it didn't seem weird. I've never had a nickname before (not so sure Krusty is an especially good one) but I guess I could live with it. :lol:
I might recognize your scooters, but the only picture I can recall seeing of you was one where you have on your helmet (couldn't see your face) and you're riding with your legs held straight out. Please ride like that so I'll recognize you, k?
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

KRUSTYburger wrote:You know it's odd, nobody has ever called me Krusty in real life except maybe BuddyRaton and it didn't seem weird. I've never had a nickname before (not so sure Krusty is an especially good one) but I guess I could live with it. :lol:
I know your secret identity, so it won't be me. :)

Weird, though, some people do call me "ericalm" or "Eric Calm" which seems like more work than just calling me Eric. Maybe they're making fun of me.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

lmyers wrote:Please ride like that so I'll recognize you, k?
That's how I roll. 8)

Oh yeah, I will be easy to spot on my Vespa too, since it's a P-series with no cowls.
Also I should have a big black headlight pebble-guard on by then too.
Last edited by KRUSTYburger on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

gearhead wrote:let's just all pile up in a double occupancy... the cheaper the better.. speaking from a broke student's perspective that is.. :roll:
I leave it up to you to make the arrangements! :lol:
I know your secret identity, so it won't be me.
I vaguely recall pictures...probably still on the site...but I don't know her secret identity.... :?
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Ok.... So who wants to pile up in a double occupancy?!? So far there are 2 of us (gearhead+r0sa)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I could go with that. I can even sleep on the floor (I'm not into bed sharing with other guys).
r0sa

Post by r0sa »

Gearhead just got us our early bird tickets! We called the hotel this morning but the rep who is in charge for the event's rooming was not available. :fp:

So how is this room piling going to work? Quad occupancy = 4+ people? :D
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

According to the site, quad occupancy is $160. I'm not sure if that consists of 4 twin beds? Or 2 king sized beds lol

$160 / 4 = $40 per person

Not bad at all.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

It's 2 doubles I'm sure but sometimes they'll bring a roll away bed.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Do we all need to pre-register? Is the room a "go" (although we still need a fourth)?

Jed, what days/evenings are you and Rosa staying? That could be important....

If so, dibs on the second bed. #4 can have the roll away. :D
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

pugbuddy wrote:Do we all need to pre-register? Is the room a "go" (although we still need a fourth)?

Jed, what days/evenings are you and Rosa staying? That could be important....

If so, dibs on the second bed. #4 can have the roll away. :D
Register before 3/1 and it's 60. After, it's 75.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Yep, I plan to do so this weekend.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Well... I'm trying to get Mike to go also. So he could possibly be th fourth.

We want to arrive the afternoon/evening of Wednesday June 15th and depart the morning of Monday the 20th... How does that sound?! Getting the most of the experience :D
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Sent you a message on FB as well, Jed. I'm good with the schedule you've outlined. It would be good to see Mike again as well!

I turned in my registration via PayPal--and completely missed the BOLD-UNDERLINED statement requiring us to do the following: At checkout please re-enter attendee name(s) in the "Special Instructions to Seller". Should I just claim to be a 'tard or should I contact someone? :oops: [/b]
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

I did the exact same thing and forgot to put our names in the special instructions. If you print out your reciept it will have you name on there and I'm sure they will be able to see it as well.

I just sent you a text
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

No can do on the text thing! That's my home phone number I sent you! :D
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

btw, Louisiana IS a helmet state. Be sure to bring your lids.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

We always ride safe, Laura! 8)
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

everytime I call the reservation desk, I get an answering machine! :cry: How about a Modern Buddy happy hour meet and greet @ ACME OYSTER HOUSE for Wednesday evening? It got a lot of good reviews on Yelp, so I figured it'd be a good way to mingle, have a few laughs, and polish down some raw oysters. It's a short walk from the Hilton. KRUSTY, about how long of a ride do you think from Mobile to NO? I'm trying to cross Alabama from the Chattanooga area and ride along the Gulf coast from Mobile. It looks like Biloxi and Gulfport are busy areas and more-so in June. I'd like to make it from Birmingham to NO in 1 day.

This will be my first Amerivespa, and I'm even more excited that it's in N.O. I've never been there before, but it'll be amazing to see the rebirth of a cultural gem of a city. The burlesque, the amazing seafood, the jazz music, the swamp tours, and the sweltering humidity are second to none! Amidst all the excitement, I still need to ride in via US 90 in LA to see first hand the effects of Katrina. Call me crazy, but I'm really interested in seeing the Lower 9th Ward that I've read so much about for bad and good. One of those things I gotta see with my own eyes, the pictures don't do enough justice.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BootScootin'FireFighter wrote:KRUSTY, about how long of a ride do you think from Mobile to NO? I'm trying to cross Alabama from the Chattanooga area and ride along the Gulf coast from Mobile.
Riding a scooter, it would probably be a solid 4 hours, or maybe close to 5 hours from Mobile to New Orleans, depending on how fast you go and if you make frequent stops. Were you planning on taking Hwy 90 or I-10? That will make a difference. Really Hwy 90 from Biloxi to Bay St. Louis is the only stretch of road that the coast would be visible from. If you're making it into NO during the day, 90 it becomes Chef Menteur Hwy and is kind of a fun swampy road with a few curves... but at night it's pretty creepy. Watch out for gators!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Realized recently that as of 1 weeks ago, it's been precisely 20 years since I've been to NO. That was an eventful and, quite literally, life-changing trip. Funny and somewhat scary thing about NO—I've never left it unchanged or unscathed. It's just that kind of place.

Very much looking forward to getting back after being away for so long. Not anticipating any major life changes this time out nor (I hope) a repeat of the bizarre events of spring break 1987. Just too old for those kinds of shenanigans. :) :shock:
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

just reserved the hotel room!!! So far, we've got me, r0sa, and pugbuddy in one room.

The $140 per night with 2 queen beds isn't a bad deal. Can we add another roomate? let's make this as cheap as possible for all of us :P
BootScootin'FireFighter

Post by BootScootin'FireFighter »

the DINKs are in! @ the Hilton
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

Party in Jed, Rosa, Byron, & Mike's room! :lol:

BootScootin'FireFighter, that's a great idea for a ModBud meetup. Count me in! :D

KRUSTY, I met BuddyRaton this past weekend. He told me to call him "Dude." Guess that's just how *HE* rolls! 8)
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

polianarchy wrote:Party in Jed, Rosa, Byron, & Mike's room! :lol:

BootScootin'FireFighter, that's a great idea for a ModBud meetup. Count me in! :D

KRUSTY, I met BuddyRaton this past weekend. He told me to call him "Dude." Guess that's just how *HE* rolls! 8)

Actually it's DUDE!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

KRUSTYburger wrote:
lmyers wrote:Please ride like that so I'll recognize you, k?
That's how I roll. 8)

Oh yeah, I will be easy to spot on my Vespa too, since it's a P-series with no cowls.
Rattin' ot the P? SWEEEEEEETT

You know I'm a sucker for a rat bike!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I am really looking forward to the pics and stories you guys will have. Sounds like an amazing event. Jealous for sure.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

BuddyRaton wrote:
KRUSTYburger wrote:Oh yeah, I will be easy to spot on my Vespa too, since it's a P-series with no cowls.
Rattin' ot the P? SWEEEEEEETT
You know I'm a sucker for a rat bike!
Actually, the P200 looks LESS ratty without the cowls! You'll see. 8)
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Is Mike in? He was on the fence, last I'd heard!
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

pugbuddy wrote:
Is Mike in? He was on the fence, last I'd heard!
So were you, but look where my badgering got us. :D It's the POWER OF POSITIVE THINKING.

No but seriously, I hope everyone who I met last year can make it to NOLA.
ModBud #442
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

yeah, he's still on the fence. I'll find out for sure what his plans are.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

polianarchy wrote:No but seriously, I hope everyone who I met last year can make it to NOLA.
And then some!
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

close to 24 hours left for early bird tickets :twisted: get em while they're still hot!
chloefpuff

Post by chloefpuff »

Well, despite all the gushing in my earlier post about NOLA, I'm not going. The typical daytime temp is around 90 that time of year. I have multiple sclerosis and I can't handle that heat and humidity.

i haz a sad :(

eat a beignet for me!
so tough, so pink
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Sorry to hear it, Chloepuff.... :( Stay healthy though!
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

chloefpuff wrote:Well, despite all the gushing in my earlier post about NOLA, I'm not going. The typical daytime temp is around 90 that time of year. I have multiple sclerosis and I can't handle that heat and humidity.
Sorry you can't make it. Here's hoping they choose somewhere much cooler for 2012! (I'm still pushing for Vancouver, but it's a long shot.)