Amerivespa 2011: New Orleans

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lmyers

Post by lmyers »

I've decided I'd rather go to Band Camp next year
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

lmyers wrote:I've decided I'd rather go to Band Camp next year
Awwww! The riding up there will be GREAT and it won't be unbearably hot!

Also, we should have a BIG Genuine owners' ride/event/SOMETHING.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
neotrotsky

Post by neotrotsky »

ericalm wrote:

Agreed!! It will give me something to do while my friend Wende is hob-nobbing with all the other vintage Vespa dorks :P
"Earth" without Art is just "Eh"...

<a href="http://slowkidsscootergang.wordpress.com/">The Slow Kids Scooter Gang</a>
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

ericalm wrote:

AGREED! FINALLY there will be a rally that is not scheduled during 100+ temps! :D
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

pugbuddy wrote:
ericalm wrote:

AGREED! FINALLY there will be a rally that is not scheduled during 100+ temps! :D
Um... FRSC in Eureka Springs was fairly cool. Like 33 the first night of camping. And HAVOKC has their rally the last weekend in September. Not ridiculously hot then, either. ijs
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

Wisconsin is relatively close to Michigan. Don't think I'll be taking the buddy 50 but this introvert just might have to take a solo run on the sh150i to AV 2012. How far in advance does one need to plan in order to go to AV? I'm a teacher so the time off is a non-issue.

I've been thinking more and more about actually riding with the A2 scooter club too (or starting my own less exclusive cycle club). Meeting new folk makes me very nervous but wanting to ride more is out weighing all the nervousness. It would also be great to meet some of the fine MB folk in person :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

jasondavis48108 wrote:Wisconsin is relatively close to Michigan. Don't think I'll be taking the buddy 50 but this introvert just might have to take a solo run on the sh150i to AV 2012. How far in advance does one need to plan in order to go to AV? I'm a teacher so the time off is a non-issue.

I've been thinking more and more about actually riding with the A2 scooter club too (or starting my own less exclusive cycle club). Meeting new folk makes me very nervous but wanting to ride more is out weighing all the nervousness. It would also be great to meet some of the fine MB folk in person :)
I'm ridiculously shy and hate leaving my comfort zone but have made an extreme effort to be social since I started riding again. I've made some great friends so it's seriously worth it.

But I'm still leaning toward Band Camp.
jasondavis48108

lmyers wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:Wisconsin is relatively close to Michigan. Don't think I'll be taking the buddy 50 but this introvert just might have to take a solo run on the sh150i to AV 2012. How far in advance does one need to plan in order to go to AV? I'm a teacher so the time off is a non-issue.

I'm ridiculously shy and hate leaving my comfort zone but have made an extreme effort to be social since I started riding again. I've made some great friends so it's seriously worth it.

But I'm still leaning toward Band Camp.
I'm sure it will be worth it once I finally take the plunge :) btw what is Band Camp?
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Not entirely sure what Band Camp is, but I often refer to AV as scooterist summer camp.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

jasondavis48108 wrote:
lmyers wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote: But I'm still leaning toward Band Camp.
I'm sure it will be worth it once I finally take the plunge :) btw what is Band Camp?
http://www.examiner.com/scooter-in-detr ... oter-rally
jasondavis48108

lmyers wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:
lmyers wrote: I'm sure it will be worth it once I finally take the plunge :) btw what is Band Camp?
http://www.examiner.com/scooter-in-detr ... oter-rally
Thanks, sounds like they had quite a time. Is this rally for vintage scoots or some other specific set? Also, and this may sound very naive, it sounds like there is a lot of drinking that happens at the rallies. I don't have an issue with this but are there folks who don't drink who go to these events? Figure it may even give me an unfair advantage in the scooter events (no hangover) :lol:
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

Pretty sure Band Camp is vintage only, but I happen to have a vintage in my living room :) I should be able to get the engine rebuilt by June of next year. As for drinking, yes, lots of people drink at most of the rallies I've attended. But at the one we just had, a lot of my sober friends came and really enjoyed the activities and rides. The Tulsa rally is very diverse, as are all my friends.