slotted oil filter removal??

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

natron3000

slotted oil filter removal??

Post by natron3000 »

Anybody have any tips on removing an oil filter that has a slot instead of a socket on the end?? I'm having trouble fitting a strap wrench into that tiny space. Thanks.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I tried several things including making a slot using a piece of metal and a large socket, then I realized my largest flat blade screw driver worked the best. I avoid that style filter nowadays.
Ed Hit

Post by Ed Hit »

A lot of people use a large flat file, most just prefer to avoid that style of filter.

Or these (snowflake wrenches), but obviously I might not invest in it unless I planned to use it all the time.

http://www.oopsclunkthud.com/
natron3000

Post by natron3000 »

Yeah, I bought the scooter used a couple months ago. I'm changing the oil now and I just noticed it. I bought the better filter to replace it, just gotta get it off first.
natron3000

Post by natron3000 »

I got it off. Drilled a few holes in the end of the filter, inserted an open box wrench inside, then twisted with some channel locks. It was a good feeling when it finally moved. Everything's cool now. Thanks for the suggestions.
bluebuddygirl

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Other suggestions should it come up again. Allen wrench, use long side in slot. Also, I have cleaned off the outside of the filter and then using a clean rubber glove on my hand, twist it off that way (but then my father always said I had vise grips for hands). :shock:
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Bumping this thread for help. So over the years I've had to try and become more self sufficient with things and next up is the buddy oil change. This would be no big deal if not for this D*+^ slotted filter. I can't get the thing off. Scooterwest happens to be a 1.5 miles from my house, so went down to get the materials (first mistake was buying another slotted filter which I have since returned...I'll be ordering the prima one that can be screwed on and off with a socket wrench. So I have purchased and returned the below linked wrenches meant for this filter. The first one was the solid one that did nothing but slip out of the slot. So I got the second which snapped the moment It had resistance. I then went to Home Depot and got a crescent wrench, which barely could reach the filter and the center stand was in the way of moving it....returned that and got an oil filter wrench (I hate tools that only do one thing, but I'm getting desperate). It could barely fit in the small space either and there was no room to turn it. Any new info on getting these darn things off? I acknowledge that I am not mechanically skilled but this is ridiculous. If you are ordering filters, I do not recommend this one. Ideas welcome!

https://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_pag ... -Tool/1718
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Buy the HF197, Same hex head as your drain plug. About $5.00 each when you buy 10.

http://www.motoparthub.com/HF197_HiFlo_ ... oCFErw_wcB

Get a big straight screwdriver and use vicegrips on the shaft. That will get the old filter off:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth ... 94619.html

Take your new filter into Harbor Freight and see if the small wrench in this set will work:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-en ... 94096.html
Attachments
$2.00 at Harbor Freight
$2.00 at Harbor Freight
image_20990 (1).jpg (3.28 KiB) Viewed 2922 times
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I think I will be good with the new filter (which will be a Prima with a hex). the current slotted one is an issue bc the slot is WAY wider than any screwdriver that know off (but I may be misunderstanding your reply), and the wrench can't get in there. so freaking frustrated :cry: :evil:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Bluebuddygirl's tip about the Allen wrench was a good one.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Unfortunately the slotted tool that Motorsport had couldn't even loosen it, so an Allen wrench would be tougher. I don't have one but would get one of I think it would work. ...ive now purchased 5 tools and returned 4 for this job...the slot has very smooth edges and so far any slotted tool just slides out. Plus I think it's on really, really tight (I didn't install it).
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Go medieval on it. Punch holes in the top with a big phillips
screwdriver and a hammer. Drive a box end wrench into the
holes. Put the phillips screwdriver through the other end
and twist to the left.

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

lol, holy cow :lol: Thats very tempting and likely would bring pleasure if it worked. I figure I put myself deeper down a rabbit hole trying to rectify an incomplete job. I am almost a the point I will suck it up (I mean I have been for years) and take it somewhere to get the filter off and replace with a non slotted one (ordered). But I really need is someone with the strength of an ox and the hands of toddler. :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

I don't know how well it works, but I like oopsclunkthud's star wrench.
Attachments
IMG_4035.jpg
IMG_4035.jpg (15.56 KiB) Viewed 2884 times
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Unless you are using something with a respectable amount of leverage, it takes a fairly strong hand and arm to initially break the filter loose.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

A small strap wrench should work OK too.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-S ... /203526056
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Pipe wrench? I believe I have used this before when the hex key or big screwdriver did not work.
Attachments
Pipe wrench
Pipe wrench
oil filter wrench.JPG (137.95 KiB) Viewed 2871 times
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

There's no room to get those channel locks on the filter of a 125. At some point you either pay or dive in head first
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Syd wrote:I don't know how well it works, but I like oopsclunkthud's star wrench.
Patrick's wrench is good. Bought one for a friend for his Vespa GT200. Oddly, I have yet to own a bike I'd need one for!
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
jd

Post by jd »

Once I realized that I had no reason to preserve the integrity of the old filter, it was straightforward to get it off: Rather than trying to find a wrench to fit the the slot or go around the circumference, I just jammed a sharp screw driver right through the filter and used the leverage of the screw driver to turn the filter.

It's a messy proposition if there's a lot oil in the filter, but it gets the job done simply enough.
Some people are like slinkies. They're not very interesting, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Syd

Post by Syd »

How about a minimal-styled strap wrench like these?

https://www.amazon.com/ATD-Tools-Strap- ... rap+wrench
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I am really struggling with buying one time use tools (I will not ever have a slotted filter again) that cost close to as much as a professional oil chance for this job. I seriously cannot believe I have to smash this thing to remove it...
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

Have you tried a pair of channel locks on the filter? I just went out and gave it a try and it seems like it would work, with the handles by the CVT I got the jaws on the filter and it looks like it would turn.

If I remember right I used a chisel in the slot(might have turned it with a wrench to get more leverage) and was able to get the filter off when my scooter had one of these filters on it. Or it was a big screwdriver and I hammered it into the slot, it has been awhile since I used a slot filter.
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

peabody99 wrote:I am really struggling with buying one time use tools (I will not ever have a slotted filter again) that cost close to as much as a professional oil chance for this job. I seriously cannot believe I have to smash this thing to remove it...
Believe it. Had to do this on cars many times. One thing's for sure, you'll never have this problem with the Helix. Oil filter? We don't need no stinkin' oil filter! :wink:
Syd

Post by Syd »

peabody99 wrote:I am really struggling with buying one time use tools (I will not ever have a slotted filter again) that cost close to as much as a professional oil chance for this job. I seriously cannot believe I have to smash this thing to remove it...
You're not going to throw it away, it's a tool.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I got lucky and found a tool that worked for free at work! That being said, I try and avoid those filters unless they are really cheap. The first time I ever saw one I used a file in the slot to remove it.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I've removed the sheet metal guard under the filter/oil-cooler.
No more messy oil dripping from the guard.
Easy filter removal.
Oil cooler has better air flow for cooling (probably).
If I hit the cooler I MAY be sorry, but not likely.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.