NSR* Happy Thanksgiving! -How are you spending it?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

NSR* Happy Thanksgiving! -How are you spending it?

Post by Drumwoulf »

Watcha doing for Thanksgiving?

In my area of NJ there's a great Italian restuarant called Giamanos, and the owner there is a wonderful person. She and her family and staff prepare a ton of turkey and alla trimmings for a community feed for people in less fortunate circumstances, and many local church people and people from the Sally help to serve it up... (And it's also done at Christmas time too!)

Usually it's held in the local firehouse or in the Salvation Army building, and me and my lady usually contribute some $$ and attend. But what's especially cool about it is that many of the local musicians I know also attend, and we play and jam for the people a mixture of jazz, Afro-Cuban, West African percussion, rock, Gospel, (-you name it!), while happily stuffing ourselves with turky and fixin's! It's a rauckus, noisy, family affair, and ends up with people with full bellys taking bags of food and donated clothing home... :)

Playing good music and enjoying good food together, while also doing something to help others,
-man, you can't get a happier Thanksgiving than that IMO! 8)

And then maybe Saturday, if the weather's still holding up here, a few of us JSSC scooterists may take a last group ride
for the season to one of our local scooter emporiums...

So, Happy Thanksgiving, -I hope it's as good for you and your family too!!!! :D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
ScootStevie

Post by ScootStevie »

Well, we did our Thanksgiving yesterday. Why you ask? Because I'm in Rome and they don't know what it is :lol: But I cooked a traditional dinner for 10 Italians and believe it or not...they loved it!! The turkey came out great!!
UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

driving up tomorrow afternoon straight through the night to CT with my girlfriend, and a cousin that lives nearby. Gonna spend the time w/my extended family on thanksgiving day, most likely dodging questions about when i'm gonna marry my girlfriend (still i'm glad they like her, better than asking when i'm gonna dump her right?). Then saturday heading to Boston to hang w/my little sister and meet (read: give my approval of) her boyfriend. Flying back sunday night.

The weekend marks a pretty important life event because I will be leaving my Saab 9-5 for my mom to drive, making my scooter my primary source of transportation.

Happy Holidays everyone.
kneil67@yahoo.com

Post by kneil67@yahoo.com »

ScootStevie wrote:Well, we did our Thanksgiving yesterday. Why you ask? Because I'm in Rome and they don't know what it is :lol: But I cooked a traditional dinner for 10 Italians and believe it or not...they loved it!! The turkey came out great!!
I had mine saturday
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

I'll be driving down to my parents' with puppy in tow on Thursday. Let the dogs play together, try to keep mine from destroying my parents' house, enjoy my mom's cooking and hang out with my family for the day. :)

The hardest part is going to be trying to avoid controversial topics with my dad and sister, such as my choice in career and mode of transportation. :roll: Eh. Same routine every holiday, really.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Wife, 2 daughters and I will be going to her Moms house for food, drink and football. The extended family from her side will all be there. We all get along, so, no fireworks. The Packers play the Lions who are on a red hot one game winning streak. We will be home in the early evening so the kids can get in their jammies and watch A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.

Last year at this time we had snow on the ground and below freezing temperatures during the day. My scooter was already packed away for the winter. This year I am hoping for another week or two of riding.
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

Ditching my family and taking a train to Disney World.
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
lmyers

Post by lmyers »

My daughter, her roommate and I will be spending a very non-traditional Thanksgiving with my ex-girlfriend. Then we'll ride over to the movie theatre and argue about what to watch while my daughter and her roommate head over to her grandma's for a very traditional Thanksgiving dinner. Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be devoted to riding all over Northeastern Oklahoma.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'll be sitting alone eating a Swanson's turkey TV dinner watching TV with my 2 cats. Oh heck, since it's Thanksgiving, I think I'll splurge and eat 2 TV dinners. I might even buy a box of wine to go with it. And a Hostess cupcake for desert. I'll even eat both cupcakes at one sitting.

Just kidding. I'll be going over to my nephew's house where he's going to be cooking the turkey himself for the first time. Hmm, maybe I should just stay home and microwave a Swanson's and drink wine from a box....
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
B-rad

Post by B-rad »

Working on MRAP's in Iraq. Oh well, maybe they will serve turkey at the chow hall... :cry:
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Our little house will be packed with family. The four of us, my parents, her parents, her sister and husband and my sister and her 2 kids. Here's the menu:
AB's Roast Turkey
Gravy
Cranberry-Sausage Stuffing
Cranberry-Orange Relish... Read More
Buttered Corn
Old-Fashioned Green Beans
Mashed Potatoes
Rolls
Strawberry Pretzel Salad
Pumpkin Pie
Pecan Pie
Homemade Gingerbread Cookies

And I don't care how much I like my family, I'm not sharing my Founders Breakfast Stout.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
rajron

Post by rajron »

I have to work.
My son can’t come up from Calif; my daughter is going south to Carlsbad.
So the wife and I are having a small Thanksgiving on Sunday by ourselves.
Perkussion

Post by Perkussion »

We both have four days off.

My wife and I will spend a quiet morning with good hazelnut coffee and fresh, hot biscuits.

She has a couple of things she has to tend to and since the weather forecast says it will be sunny/mid 60's,
I'll definitely fill up a fuel bottle and go for a long scooter ride in the country.

When I get back I have a turkey to fry and I'm sure we'll get a nap in later that afternoon.

Some days are just swell.
brape

Post by brape »

I will be working on my real analysis take home test. Then a small family dinner (with the family people I live with and have dinner with on a daily basis. Is it normal to have your 26 and 22 year old children living at home and still have a nightly family dinner?) Then I shall go for a scooter ride and try and stalk UnionZac
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

i get to do something i rarely can otherwise....sleep in. for some reason my parents and family all agreed to have dinner around 5:00. usually at 1 or 2 in the afternoon. so i'll eat until i can't anymore and try to spend as much time as i can with family i don't see to often. ya know...giving thanks.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Syd

Post by Syd »

brape wrote:I will be working on my real analysis take home test...
:bleh: It's been some time, but :bleh:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. It's about nothing but hanging out, eating, drinking, and not much else.

We often have T-Day at our house, usually for friends like ourselves who don't have family close enough to make the trip. I like doing most of the cooking myself, too.

This year we got a couple invites but for whatever reason, I just didn't feel like hanging with other folks' families and babies and odd Jello-based sides and so on.

We've done T-Day at a restaurant once and it was a disaster. Wrong restaurant; not my pick.

So now the plan is… um… to get on Yelp ASAP and figure something out.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
pyrocpu

Post by pyrocpu »

Gee. Everyone seems so festive. I was just going to be antisocial and play quite a bit of Modern Warfare 2 on the PS3... :?
Update: "Bought the motorcycle, still have the Blackjack... wife wants me to sell Blackjack..."

UnionZac

Post by UnionZac »

brape wrote: Then I shall go for a scooter ride and try and stalk UnionZac
if you can find East Hartland more power to you.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Perused local restaurants. Too late for reservations at most places. Others, well, as much as I'd like to try Top Chef contender Michael Voltaggio's food, $110 per person is a bit much. More, even, than T-Day at other famous chef's restaurants. (Though this seems like a pretty good deal for $85!)

Decided on a modest turkey and trimmings for two at home.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Older son and I are giong 'over the river and through the woods'

Driving to LonGisland to spend the holiday with my Mom..... He wants to see the Dog Show...
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

My dad will be visiting Philly from DC for the last time before he moves to San Francisco, CA this December. We're going over to my boyfriend's grandma's house for a Harvest Celebration dinner on Thursday.
Cheshire wrote:The hardest part is going to be trying to avoid controversial topics
I am struggling with this exact same dilemma. My verboten topics are sociopolitical in nature. Hint: I let my personal politics spill here last year, :oops:
ModBud #442
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'll be driving my Mom down to Fort Worth TX to have Thanksgiving with the in-laws. Mom's been sick all week and is better now but doesn't feel strong enough to make the drive. So I'll be over there at 6am to hit the road.... The In-Laws want to see me again as it's been a few years.
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
Major Redneck

Post by Major Redneck »

Work 4 12 hours days in a row... but on Thursday im going to go eat at a local church that offers a bird dinner... all my children have other plans...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
brape

Post by brape »

UnionZac wrote:
brape wrote: Then I shall go for a scooter ride and try and stalk UnionZac
if you can find East Hartland more power to you.
I believe that the Barkhampsted reservoir loop goes though/near heartland. (I used to ride the loop on my bicycle back when I had free time)
Christy

Post by Christy »

I'm working the Cowboy's game for Ford and then hopefully going to a friends house for drinks...
EPSP #76
JNV

Thanksgiving Dinner

Post by JNV »

I am working. My day starts at 2:00am. and ends at 2:00pm. After that I am cooking a Beef Tenderloin. I just got tired of Turkey.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

I'm working the Cowboy's game for Ford and then hopefully going to a friends house for drinks...
LUCKY!!! :D
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

Final exams are done with, school is over for now until January 4th. I'll be sleeping in tomorrow for thanks giving.
db

Post by db »

Boston Market and then maybe a movie all alone :(
First time away from family. X-mas will prob be the same.
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

db wrote:Boston Market and then maybe a movie all alone :(
I have ended up having some of my best holidays at times when I would least expect it. Make the most of it db. Maybe invite your friends over. For sure call your family. They will be missing you too.

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
Syd

Post by Syd »

Skootz Kabootz wrote:
db wrote:Boston Market and then maybe a movie all alone :(
I have ended up having some of my best holidays at times when I would least expect it. Make the most of it db. Maybe invite your friends over. For sure call your family. They will be missing you too.
:+!: Cold Chunky Beef Soup south of Tucson and McSomething in Barstow stand out 30+ years later as two of the best Thanksgiving dinners of my life. At the very least, this Thanksgiving will be memorable.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
db

Post by db »

We'll see. Im honestly not that upset about it. I will miss my family but in a way looking forward to spending some time on my own. Friends and family will have to be called as none of them live here. I moved to CO on my own not not really anyone here.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I was determined not to have to roast a turkey this year. I've done it for the past several years and it's quite a chore because I brine it overnight first. Then it has to be cleaned and dried (or else the skin doesn't crisp).

So last night I set out to the store looking for an alternative. I thought you could buy just a turkey breast to roast or something like that. No such luck. All the breasts were these sad, pressed together kinds of things. I wound up with a turkey that roasts in a bag and can go from freezer to oven (because it was too late to defrost one and the only fresh ones left were humongous 20lb. beasts). We'll see how that turns out.

The morning then kicked off with the derby pie exploding in the oven. No idea what happened there—some ingredient boiled over. My wife was in charge of the pie but managed to pin this on me because I bought the crust.

Because it's just the two of us, we strayed from some of our tried and true usual dishes and decided to experiment a bit this year. So the cranberry sauce has vodka and Grand Marnier in it and we're having a corn bread and chorizo stuffing.

How about you guys? What'd you eat? Weird side dishes made from Jello?
Skootz Kabootz

Post by Skootz Kabootz »

ericalm wrote:I was determined not to have to roast a turkey this year...
For the past couple of years I have shared Thanksgiving with the family of a close friend. A wonderful and eclectic group of people. Each year, we pick a different nationality and cook something from that culture. Usually something we have never cooked before. Last year was Spain and we cooked Paella. This year it is Indian... always a great experiment and a lot of fun.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

"It's only fun if you live to talk about it." | Adventurists Scooter Group |
iwabj

Post by iwabj »

oops
Last edited by iwabj on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

The diner has ended and it was great. Now the "what's wrong with the world" conversations have begun. I'm to thankful and happy to be part of that. Hence, my logging on to MB. Hope all went well for you all.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
gigi

Post by gigi »

My daughter & son-in-law are here from L>A> along with other daughter &hubby who live here. son couldn't make it--lives -works in Osaka, japan.We had traditional turkey, cornbread stuffing, wild rice stuffing w/ sausage, sweet potatoes (yams), green beans, gravy. asparagus, rolls, coconut, blueberry, pecan, and pumpkin pies and chocolate bread pudding, rose wine, and I had a french farmhouse style beer. long naps and now they're playing something on the Wii. fencing or something. I'll waddle into work happy tomorrow. enjoy life now--the next coors truck could have your number on it.
armed, dangerous, and off his medication
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

After years of staying in Tulsa with my immediate family, I accompanied my mom down to spend Thanksgiving with the extended family! I was shocked and appalled to find that, while they had turkey, sage dressing, some great homemade bread and a lot of other stuff, there were no mashed potatos!!! I swore I'd never return (unless I'm bringing the mighty spuds). :cry:
Ms_Kady

Post by Ms_Kady »

We spent Thanksgiving in Blacksburg, VA and I saw a black Buddy scooter on campus at Virginia Tech! :D