New style helmets now more available in USA

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Drumwoulf

New style helmets now more available in USA

Post by Drumwoulf »

I like the idea of a 3/4 helmet with an added chin bar,
and it seems that noe Nolan is selling a street legal one in the USA market!

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcyc ... rilogy.htm

Damn! -More $$$ spent? -Prolly.... :wink:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
jfrost2

Post by jfrost2 »

I dont think it would be as comfortable as a real full face is in the winter time, but it definitely wins in looks. I like it, but it's a bit pricey in my opinion.
brape

Post by brape »

I don't get it. I'd rather just wear my full face helmet then any of the hybrid nonsese.
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

brape wrote:I don't get it. I'd rather just wear my full face helmet then any of the hybrid nonsese.
Check put the difference betrween the Triology's eye opening and those found on your FF helmets...
Then you might get it?
I like great ability to SEE out of my helmets; I don't wanna hafta swing my head around on a swivel everytime I need to look sideways, because of those narrow FF eye slots!!
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

Thanks for posting this. I'm always open to learning about new gear that is available.

I'd have to try on the Nolan before making a final call on the helmet and on their new chin-bar design. In an accident, about 65% of the time, the first impact area of a person's head is in the chin, lower jaw, mouth, and lower nose area so protection for that area is vital. It is the reason that I will not wear a half-shell or three-quarter helmet.

My Scorpion 400 Full Face provides broad viewing exposure. It appears, from the picture that much of the extra clear face covering on the Nolan is in areas that may not be very necessary. Still, it may be an asset yet for me I would need to try on the helmet.

At $300, the Nolan is expensive.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

It's OK, but I prefer my FF for it's added protection. I wear glasses and don't have any issues seeing out of mine (HJC Sy-Max), but then, I've been wearing FF for about 30 years. Not continuously, only when riding...
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I'll definitely check this out at the motorcycle show. It's not for me—I'm looking to go from modular to solid FF—but it's definitely interesting.

There are some other convertibles like this out there but the only one I know of that's DOT is the Vemar CKQi. The Airoh TR1 and Givi X.01 are kind of interesting too (especially the Givi with all its options).

At the same time, I don't really get the point of this in some ways. If you can wear it with the chin bar, what's the point of using it without?
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

this helmet was made for folks like me. I know its better to wear a full face but I hate every full face I've ever bought and they just collect dust while I wear my open face. Something like this wouldn't be a total waste if I didn't like wearing the chin bar I could just remove it and wear it like an open face. Thanx for the post :)
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

jasondavis48108 wrote:this helmet was made for folks like me. I know its better to wear a full face but I hate every full face I've ever bought and they just collect dust while I wear my open face. Something like this wouldn't be a total waste if I didn't like wearing the chin bar I could just remove it and wear it like an open face. Thanx for the post :)
Why don't you like the FFs? And if you thought you might not like the chin bar, why not just buy another open fave?

BTW, I own the Nolan N42, which is the version of this without the chin bar—the normal open face. It's a good helmet for what it is. I'd wear a Nolan now if their FFs or modulars fit me right.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
jasondavis48108

Post by jasondavis48108 »

ericalm wrote:
jasondavis48108 wrote:this helmet was made for folks like me. I know its better to wear a full face but I hate every full face I've ever bought and they just collect dust while I wear my open face. Something like this wouldn't be a total waste if I didn't like wearing the chin bar I could just remove it and wear it like an open face. Thanx for the post :)
Why don't you like the FFs? And if you thought you might not like the chin bar, why not just buy another open fave?

BTW, I own the Nolan N42, which is the version of this without the chin bar—the normal open face. It's a good helmet for what it is. I'd wear a Nolan now if their FFs or modulars fit me right.
I have never found a full face helmet that was comfortable. I'm always looking but generally they end up not getting used. With this helmet I could try again and if I still didn't find it comfortable I could just leave the bar out. The problem I have is that I know the FF helmets provide a lot more protection, but everytime I take a FF helmet off it feels like I'm being born, they fog up way worse than an open face with a shield and they don't provide as good of a field of vision. I'm thinking about getting a modular but I'd hate to buy one and then not wear that one too.
"Only the curious have, if they live, a tale worth telling at all" Alastair Reid
Irishrover

Post by Irishrover »

I have the Givi X01 and so far think it's a great helmet, great field of view, light and comfortable and like the idea that it can be jet style even though we don't get the weather here. If I were to tour Europe I would have no problems riding without the chin bar for that almost freedom feel. I like modulars and find a lot of FF helmets very samey.