Bought used 2007 Buddy 125 - now what?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ksbuddy

Bought used 2007 Buddy 125 - now what?

Post by ksbuddy »

I'm familiar with the world of motorcycles, but not scooters. With motorcycles, there are usually improvements that should be done right off the showroom floor.

I'm buying a used 2007 Buddy 125 with about 2400 miles on it. As far as I can tell, it's completely stock. What should I do with it?

I know oil change, maintenence, etc... but are the OEM tires good? Are there engine/transmission/suspension/lighting upgrades that people often do?

Also, has anything been changed (improved) much since the '07 model?

I just want to make sure I'm getting all of the scooter I can for the $$.

Thanks!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Get out and ride it!

The stock tires are ok, and bone stock its about the fastest 125 on the market.

The stock headlight is so-so, you can replace it with a Silverstar bulb for an improvement.

The stock rear brake is almost never in adjustment, adjust it!

There's a TON of upgrade parts, search the forum for Voodoo or Voodoo Buddy. Thats what we call the bikes that are very modded out.
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

Hi ksbuddy, welcome to the forum. As far as upgrades go, if you can imagine it, it probably already exists. Many people here run completely stock bikes and others voodoo their bikes on a weekly basis (see Kaos). My upgrades are for comfort and convenience since my stock 125 will run at 55 mph all day long, and yes, I have done it. I put on a medium Prima windscreen, very bright Sylvania headlight bulb, rear rack and Givi topcase. If you want to accelerate faster or increase your top speed that is doable. There are threads pertaining specifically to those subjects. Review the Technical Library.

In stock form the Buddy will be a great bike, I have no complaints. If you wish to upgrade the transmission or install the big bore kit, everything you need to know is here. I don't think much has changed on the Buddy since 2007. I know the headlight is bigger on the 2008 than it is on the 2006, but I am not sure when that change took place. Have fun here and check back often.
ksbuddy

Post by ksbuddy »

Funny, I thought when I test rode it that the rear brake felt a little sketchy. Like it was in need of adjustment AND a cable lube. Thanks for the heads up!
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

gr8dog wrote: I know the headlight is bigger on the 2008 than it is on the 2006, but I am not sure when that change took place. Have fun here and check back often.
The '06 headlight is a 1 year only light, and is smaller than the '07 up headlight.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

As Kaos said there is a lot you can do.

However I would suggest riding the snot out of it for a while. Get to know it before you start making your mods.

In stock form the Buddy is an excellent all around scooter. Can you mod it? Sure, but I don't think that there are any that are really necessary...but they sure are fun!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
rickko

Post by rickko »

The first poster to your thread said it quite well.

I'll add that you should enjoy it for what it is, a popular low-cost Taiwanese scooter that is built and designed to appeal to a worldwide market (called the BuBu in every other country in the world).

Doing too many mods will likely change its character, but that is the American way. :wink:

IMO, save your money and have fun with what you got. Overall its not a bad large assembly line product.

The only downfall of ownership that I've experienced 1st-hand and often read about here is the lack of immediate availability of stock parts. For example, I waited two months for the hand grips.

I've been a m/c'ist for over 4 decades. For me it is a great utilitarian vehicle for running local neighborhood errands; just twist'n go with plenty of storage space to take grocery shopping or pick up other odds and ends.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll enjoy putting around on it in your community.

Oh, keep it on a Battery Tender Jr. if you don't use it too much. That'll extend its tiny little battery's life a bit longer.

.Overall it should be a pretty reliable scooter if you don't screw around with it too much

..rickko..
Ride it like you enjoy it!
MB member #2568
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Change the oil and ride it!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

First mod- sell it and buy a stella. :)

Kidding- you have a great bike.

If it was mine, I would purchase lighter rollers/sliders for about $25. They will make the bike feel much more lively and accellerate faster.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Anachronism wrote:First mod- sell it and buy a stella. :)

If it was mine, I would purchase lighter rollers/sliders for about $25. They will make the bike feel much more lively and accellerate faster.
But on the flip side reduce top speed. Read up on variator weights on the forum before changing these ;)
iMoses

Re: Bought used 2007 Buddy 125 - now what?

Post by iMoses »

ksbuddy wrote:
I'm buying a used 2007 Buddy 125 with about 2400 miles on it. As far as I can tell, it's completely stock.
Change the oil and ride it like heck!! Perhaps update the headlight...

Was it a black Buddy?? Did you buy it in the Kansas City area?? Any scratches or dings??
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Kaos wrote:

But on the flip side reduce top speed. Read up on variator weights on the forum before changing these ;)
Is the reduction in top speed a given? My understanding is that you won't necessarily lose top end if you aren't too wild with the reduction in roller weights.

On my 50 (70), I saw more top end with lighter rollers because the bike was operating at an RPM where it made more power.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

Anachronism wrote:
Kaos wrote:

Is the reduction in top speed a given? My understanding is that you won't necessarily lose top end if you aren't too wild with the reduction in roller weights.

On my 50 (70), I saw more top end with lighter rollers because the bike was operating at an RPM where it made more power.
No its not a given. But its often the case. Its all got to do with tuning. Like you said, you can get a better spot in your powerband and actually increase both ends. Don't count on it though :)
Drumwoulf

one.

Post by Drumwoulf »

Replace that weak headlight bulb with a Sylvania SilverStar 55/65W one.
Ride it.
Keep it on a battery tender when not riding.
Ride it.
Keep your tire pressures set to where you like them.
Ride it.
Get a windshield, or a front rack, or a rear rack for it.
(Or get all three?)
Get a topcase for it too.
And ride it.
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
brape

Post by brape »

You may want to get the longer stem mirrors, the short ones that came on 07s are kinda useless.
mcwbyu82

Post by mcwbyu82 »

Which long stem mirrors are you talking about specifically? I have owned my 07' 125 since 07' and have always hated my mirrors, but just started a longer commute and really want an upgrade now.
My wife is beautiful!
brape

Post by brape »

They started putting longer stems on the '08s and '09s, I just upgraded mine last weekend and its been raining since so I've only taken them to the grocery store up the street. Mine are just the mirrors they stock on the buddy now.
mcwbyu82

Post by mcwbyu82 »

Thanks. Did you just order them through your dealer? How much?
My wife is beautiful!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

I will say my '07 Buddy has never been in contact with a battery tender and I have never had any problems starting.
Once I had to kickstart because I left my accessory lights on, but it started fist kick and never had trouble holding a
charge since. I guess if you only ride once every other week or less, sure put a tender on it. Or just ride it more! 8)

Also I will take all those stock '07 mirrors everyone seems to hate, I love mine! :D
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

KRUSTYburger wrote:Also I will take all those stock '07 mirrors everyone seems to hate, I love mine! :D
Cheryl...I have a spare left from an 06. Shoot me a PM if you want it!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
brape

Post by brape »

mcwbyu82 wrote:Thanks. Did you just order them through your dealer? How much?
The tag on the box was $50 from the dealer I got my scoot at (which is no longer my local dealer) However they are closing and probobly will re-open as a repair shop. So I got them for cheap.

Krusty has your scooter ever seen weather below freezing? Some of us live up north where its no fun to ride in the winter, thats the only time mine sees the tender. Even then I usually only plug it in one day a week.