New Honda onewheel

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Major Redneck

New Honda onewheel

Post by Major Redneck »

the furture of moving around?

http://world.honda.com/news/2009/c09092 ... e/video01/

i have no more information than what iv seen in the video... trying to figure out just what it could be used for other than replacing the electric shopping carts at walmart...
Scoot'in is more fun than beating up your sister, and it comes with a key!!!
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

It looks cool, all I want to know is how fast can it go? :twisted:
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

How fast would you want it to go?!?
TVB

Post by TVB »

KRUSTYburger wrote:It looks cool, all I want to know is how fast can it go? :twisted:
It depends on how long you've been using it. Over time it slows down... not for mechanical reasons, but because the load gets heavier.
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

haha, yeah, the ultimate laze-around accessory! I could actually really use one of those right now. I could see it being awesome for people in wheelchairs to get around, without that bulky chair they could maneuver around easier in tighter areas.
Portland_Rider
Location: Free Territory of the Pacific Northwest (Kalifornia refugee)

Post by Portland_Rider »

This device may work fine for a 90lb 20-year-old Japanese girl. What about your typical 40 year-old plus American weighing a bit more?
bluebuddygirl

Re: New Honda onewheel

Post by bluebuddygirl »

Major Redneck wrote: i have no more information than what iv seen in the video... trying to figure out just what it could be used for other than replacing the electric shopping carts at walmart...
To avoid walking inside malls??

Having just typed that, I can't remember the last time I was even in a mall.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Dooglas wrote:How fast would you want it to go?!?

Throw a kit on the bitch!

:P
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
KRUSTYburger

Post by KRUSTYburger »

Oh man Raton, that music video is the shizz.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

what no cup holder? looks like a tiny rock would impede its forward movement. and the seat looks uncomfortable. but...i still want one. might be great for the elderly or the lazy. i do wonder how much weight it can carry and still work correctly. krusty is right though for a person in a wheelchair this could change their life.
no i don't ride a scooter, i am a scooter pilot!
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

*sigh* That thing is probably gonna be ridiculous-expensive for quite a few years before it becomes affordable. It would be awesome to have one, though.

There are two big downsides I can see right off the bat. First, the wheel looks like it's designed for smooth ground, probably indoor, only. I wonder how it would handle an average sidewalk...or for that matter, an incline or descent? Second thing, it looks like the controls are under the seat on either side. If this is the case, that kinda kills being able to use your hands for much of anything, and since the knees seem to be positioned lower than the hips there's no lap to hold anything in. If these two things could be made a non-issue, this could be an amazing invention!

*edit* What could it be used for? People like me who can't walk far. This could easily replace my cane AND wheelchair, and wouldn't make me feel like a gimp using it! Though...I'd probably keep the canes around. I'm getting a rather stylish collection going. ;) My favorite is the 36" authentic Irish blackthorn shillelagh with a rootball for a handgrip. :twisted:
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Seems like they were using their toes to help balance and steer. Not sure if that would be ideal.
Orange Guy

Post by Orange Guy »

Is it cool? Heck yeah. But one of the big things that comes up on here time and again is storage. We like to carry our stuff with us. So I wonder what the application really is for that? Kind of rules out shopping malls. Maybe they're building them now so they'll be ready when the Axiom launches.

And of course, there is a one wheel already available.
I suppose I should be upset, even feel violated, but I'm not. No, in fact, I think this is a friendly message, like "Hey, wanna play?" and yes I want to play. I really really do.

Orange Guy, Inc.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Cheshire wrote:the knees seem to be positioned lower than the hips there's no lap to hold anything in.
Yeah, no place for the grandkids..
Cheshire wrote:favorite is the 36" authentic Irish blackthorn shillelagh with a rootball for a handgrip. :twisted:

Isn't that the only way to 'fly'? I use one that was my Dad's
Lostmycage
FAQ Moderator

Post by Lostmycage »

No one's done a Duck Tales reference yet, huh?

It's neat... but I'd guess it'd just promote more laziness. Although it would be funny to bowl over a gaggle of lethargic teens at a mall on those things. Heck, that's almost enough of a reason for me to actually go to a mall!
Check out :arrow: Scoot Richmond's new site: My awesome local shop.
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

I don't think the steering is under the seat. They looked like they where just holding on. It probably steers somewhat like a segway. Lean and go.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
Drumwoulf

Post by Drumwoulf »

Portland_Rider wrote:This device may work fine for a 90lb 20-year-old Japanese girl. What about your typical 40 year-old plus American weighing a bit more?
Despite our feelings that we in the USA are at the center of the universe, not everything worth designing is designed for the typical overweight American... :roll:
The vast majority of people in the world, not being as addicted to junk food (and having to work a hell of a lot harder than most of us), are simply not built the way we are.......... :twisted:
Namaste,
~drummer~

07 Buddy 125
07 Vespa GT200
TVB

Post by TVB »

KRUSTYburger wrote:I could see it being awesome for people in wheelchairs to get around, without that bulky chair they could maneuver around easier in tighter areas.
It depends on why they use a wheelchair. It looks like you'd need pretty standard balance to stay on it, and at least minimal control of your legs, which would make it impractical for a lot of chair users. And it'd need a much more comfortable seat.
LisaLisa

Post by LisaLisa »

Honestly, I think its best application is for getting around an architecture or software firm. Only because of how it would looks in PR: "One of the coolest places to work in the US..." Like those firms with wii's and climbing walls. Personally I find that kind of thing silly, tho.
Det finns inte dåligt väder bara dåliga kläder.
Cheshire

Post by Cheshire »

KABarash wrote:
Cheshire wrote:the knees seem to be positioned lower than the hips there's no lap to hold anything in.
Yeah, no place for the grandkids..
Cheshire wrote:favorite is the 36" authentic Irish blackthorn shillelagh with a rootball for a handgrip. :twisted:

Isn't that the only way to 'fly'? I use one that was my Dad's
I love my blackthorn. 8)
Grandkids? Nah...I'm thinking shopping, the dog's leash...wait, that's a recipe if ever there was one. :shock: :lol: Erm.
Seriously: try going around and NOT using your hands when you're moving. You would be amazed how much your lap gets used!
pcbikedude

Post by pcbikedude »

Looks like I solved my problem getting from my computer to the bathroom. :rofl:
The scenery only changes for the lead scooterist.
DennisD

Post by DennisD »

Drumwoulf wrote:
Portland_Rider wrote:This device may work fine for a 90lb 20-year-old Japanese girl. What about your typical 40 year-old plus American weighing a bit more?
Despite our feelings that we in the USA are at the center of the universe, not everything worth designing is designed for the typical overweight American... :roll:

But should be!

The vast majority of people in the world, not being as addicted to junk food (and having to work a hell of a lot harder than most of us), are simply not built the way we are.......... :twisted:

They're working hard to catch up. Heart disease is on the rise in Japan. Now that's progress! Where did I put that other bag of Cheetos?
CitizenX

Post by CitizenX »

It will probably still be faster than a Ruckus.
...settle down there Frenchy
bigbropgo

Post by bigbropgo »

CitizenX wrote:It will probably still be faster than a Ruckus.
At least your honest. But it wouldn't look as good with a fatty.
VICTUS MORTUUS VENATOR
MarsR

Post by MarsR »

It looks like fun. Is it freeway legal?
MB#1749 RBC#8

"I have GOT to get me one of THESE!"
--Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith), Independence Day
mjm1374

Post by mjm1374 »

Needs more mirrors and chrome