Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Way To Store Gas Tank?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Stella 4T, 300 GTS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:16 am    Post subject: Best Way To Store Gas Tank? Reply with quote

I'm keeping the Stella in the house this winter and I think this weekend I'm going to take the gas tank out so I have better access to the innards. What do you folks think would be the best way to store it for a couple of months? Do I need to coat the insides with oil? I was thinking of sealing it in a trash bag. My house is pretty dry.

Big Daddy Scooter Bum Blog

BigDaddy on FaceBook
charlie55

'06 Blur (Sold) '05 Honda Helix (Sold) '76 CB125S (Sold) '06 Honda Helix

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just happen to be doing the same thing with the Suzuki I'm restoring. Aired it out well and placed it into a cardboard box with a few wooden strips on the bottom to keep it away from the cardboard itself. Threw a few of those desiccant packets in the spaces between the strips to wick up any ambient moisture. I was going to go with plastic, but I figured that that'd trap any residual moisture and that it'd be better to let the tank breathe a little.
Site Admin

STELLA FOUR STROKE FURY! + Vespa LX 150/190 + '87 Honda Helix CN250

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, most important thing is to store it and keep it dry. Keep moisture and humidity out. Keep it someplace it won't develop condensation.
skipper20

170i

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericalm wrote:
Yup, most important thing is to store it and keep it dry. Keep moisture and humidity out. Keep it someplace it won't develop condensation.

Seems like removing the fuel tank from the scooter to store it is a bit drastic. Why not just leave it in, add a fuel preservative such as Sta-bil and keep it topped off to minimize condensation?

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
'14 170i Hooligan
BigDaddy SnakeOiler

Stella 4T, 300 GTS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly because I have it in my dining room for the Winter. Also, I'm pulling out the airbox among other things so it's way easier with the tank removed.
I have it in my basement workshop where I always have a dehumidifier going.
djp4059

2013 Stella 4T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most fuel tanks are coated on the inside with a fuel tank sealer. If you think yours isn't, you can buy a sealer like this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3HXCZ4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01 and coat it your self. I had my tank enlarged and my friend who did the welding told me I had to re-coat it because of the new metal added to the tank. Just empty the tank and let it dry out. Then pour the tank sealer in and swish it around to coat the entire inside and then drain the excess and let dry. If you have a lot of rust in your tank you can wash it out with a caustic solution first, before doing the sealer.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

1969 Vespa Rally 180 among others

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the tank out for a few months will not make a lick of difference. You will be fine having the tank out for years if the tank is empty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

Jump to: